Broken armbian Ubuntu 16.04 legacy installed on NAND after package upgrade

mzaniboni

Please help me. I have (had?) armbian Ubuntu 16.04 legacy installed on NAND.

Today I upgraded 13 packages and now the system does not boot anymore. Black screen and only the red led id on.

What I didi wrong? And is there a way to recover the system (e.g. using an old copy in the SD)? This is the output:

The following packages will be upgraded:

armbian-firmware armbian-tools-xenial libnss-myhostname libpam-systemd libsystemd0 libudev1 linux-headers-sun7i linux-image-sun7i linux-u-boot-cubietruck-default

linux-xenial-root-cubietruck systemd systemd-sysv udev

13 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Need to get 140 MB of archives.

After this operation, 21,5 kB of additional disk space will be used.

Do you want to continue? [Y/n] 

[... cut ...]

Setting up systemd (229-4ubuntu8) ...

addgroup: The group `systemd-journal' already exists as a system group. Exiting.

[... cut ...]

Preparing to unpack .../armbian-tools-xenial_5.20_armhf.deb ...

Unpacking armbian-tools-xenial (5.20) over (5.14) ...

dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/armbian-tools-xenial_5.20_armhf.deb (--unpack):

trying to overwrite '/etc/init.d/brcm40183-patch', which is also in package linux-xenial-root-cubietruck 5.16

[... cut ...]

update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.4.112-sun7i

Errors were encountered while processing:

/var/cache/apt/archives/armbian-tools-xenial_5.20_armhf.deb

E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Thanks in advance,

Marcello Zaniboni

i ran into the same issue.  my bananapi running armbian killed itself today.  i logged in to check something and i noticed armbian stated that there was a kernel update and wanted to reboot.  i rebooted the server, only to have it never came back online.  when i got home i hooked up a monitor to see what the deal was (thought maybe the PI took a DHCP lease).  Black screen, i unplugged the power waited 5 seconds and restored power.

guess what, it no longer boots... thanks auto updates

If upgrade is not finished properly, it might not boot. I wrote a proper upgrade instructions in bold on www.armbian.com but I guess it was not noticed :( I don't have much other options to notify people who uses our system.

Now the procedure is far more complex but nothing is lost unless you have already start with new image and install it over.

Hi Igor,

You may wish to mention in your bold text that wifi maybe knocked out when the  "Errors were encountered", and to encourage the usage of the serial interface.

Certainly my heart stopped when my console over wifi died on that error.

It seems natural to me and other pi users of all types to just do an upgrade now and then when it looks like it effects packages we are interested in, I can only guess the easiest place to put a warning about the OP's error situation is in the login welcome message, perhaps pointing them to your website if apt-get upgrading.

We are doing lots of testing but still we can't catch all the bugs. We can't afford to test all upgrades from all old versions on all boards and when it comes to 3rd party wifi, this job becomes impossible.

Recently we started initiative to involve more people into testing phase to hopefully get better results and produce images and upgrades with less bugs. At the moment this is in it's infant state and we don't know if and how this will works.

When you do an upgrade in the most critical area (kernel and u-boot), you need to be prepared. Some boards breaks even they works fine in our lab due too quality issues and different board revisions (mostly due to diff RAM chips).

We'll put some additional warnings. 

If upgrade is not finished properly, it might not boot. I wrote a proper upgrade instructions in bold on www.armbian.com but I guess it was not noticed :( I don't have much other options to notify people who uses our system.

Now the procedure is far more complex but nothing is lost unless you have already start with new image and install it over.

This happened to me today (twice so far) on my brand new OPI PC with a fresh install.

What is the "far more complex" procedure to move past this?

I followed your instructions for the upgrade. I started with a virgin Armbian_5.14_Orangepipc_Ubuntu_xenial_3.4.112.raw

I still get stuck here:

(Reading database ... 44685 files and directories currently installed.)

Preparing to unpack .../armbian-tools-xenial_5.20_armhf.deb ...

Unpacking armbian-tools-xenial (5.20) over (5.14) ...

dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/armbian-tools-xenial_5.20_armhf.deb (--unpack):

trying to overwrite '/etc/init.d/brcm40183-patch', which is also in package linux-xenial-root-orangepipc 5.16

Processing triggers for systemd (229-4ubuntu11) ...

Processing triggers for ureadahead (0.100.0-19) ...

Errors were encountered while processing:

/var/cache/apt/archives/armbian-tools-xenial_5.20_armhf.deb

E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)