Armbian on a Le Potato will not shutdown , it only reboots. / Future setup with a power management BD called WittyPi 3 (mini).

Brad Wigton
Go to solution Solved by Brad Wigton,

Hello all I have a many questions, but I will start off with the 2 I need to be helped on. 

1: The Le Potato needs butter and sour cream. HAHA I has to say it... I am running the newest flavor of Armbian created in the last few weeks (Armbian 22.08 Jammy XFCE  Kernel 5.10.y, Size: 1263Mb, Updated: Aug 30, 2022). I am new on to a non Pi bd so forgive me on the differences. 

After loading imaging and updating (or not) the board any time I try to do a full shutdown, all it does is reboot. After I get this to work I will work on my other issue below.

2: I would like to use this as a replacement for Pi 3A+ on a remote solar powered weather station at a RC field.  I have had this up and running for about 4 years now but is having issue now with the Pi. The current setup is a Pi, with a wittyPi 3 mini to power it off at night and back on in the morning. I am using a usb cell modem as the network. That being said I also have two Le Potato's  to work on so I can work on both  issues at once. I was have the modem working fine I have loaded the overlays to get the i2c bus working and I can see the RTC of the wittyPi 3 mini, but it does not work I know it is a GPIO issue and how to set that up.. (help please) alone that thinking I need to make sure I can also access 1 other GPIO pin for an input from the wind vane. (the rest is via i2c)  I have tried a "pi" image via from scratch and from the portability tool. I failed. I have everything but the witty pi figured out and the non shutdown ( yes I have tried it with the hat on or off and also before I loaded the hat at all.  on a fresh image.)  The weather station is written is python 2.7 (in the process of making it work in python 3) I have to fix all the spacing in the libraries that others have written .But I think I will need help as I forgot how I made it 5 years ago.  "# relearning python"

• Solution

FYI the reboot issue is fixed  with the shutdown -h option... sorry that was my bad. I am hoping for help with the Witty Pi 3 now it appears the demon used to start up the process uses the old wiringPi and needs to use something else. as well as a power leak issue. I am looking for a site I found (and now lost) that may have a fix  using a cap somewhere.  My guess is +5 and Ground or from Pin 17 (gpio0) to ground? I need help with this one. I can send the software (or just google it) to anyone who can help re-write it. 

Edited by Brad Wigton
spell check took over