Orange Pi 4 LTS not booting when USB port(s) are used

franck102

Hi ChecMate,

Just FYI I am seeing the same thing on an Orange Pi 4 LTS that I am setting up, what worked for me was to unplug the keyboard to let the boot start, then plug it in later.

I tried 2 keyboards and both USB 2 & 3 ports, and the problem is consistent, if I boot with the kb plugged in the HDMI remains dead.

Franck

Hi all,

I have a fresh install of Armbian Jammy on an Orange Pi 4 LTS, everything works fine as long as I boot the device with nothing plugged into any of the USB ports.

If a USB device is plugged in, the system doesn't boot: nothing comes out on HDMI, and the network doesn't come up. There is steady red light, and a green led flashing in groups of 2.

I have the same symptoms in all these configurations:

- boot from SD / system on SD

- boot from EMMC / system on EMMC

- boot from SD / system on USB drive

- for all the above a USB keyboard or the USB drive fail the boot if they are plugged in when I power on.

I am using the original power supply. If I plug in the keyboard or disk after booting everything works as expected. The last combination (system on USB drive) is what I need to achieve, so I am a bit stuck here.

I haven't tried to setup a serial interface, is there any way to see all boot messages from the previous - failed - boot?

Thanks!

Franck

[Edit]: I managed to boot by plugging just the USB drive into one of the 2 USB 2 ports (instead of USB 3). Not sure yet if that is reliable or not (power issue vs. driver issue?)

Edited by franck102

Which kernel are you using? Currently stable and supported kernel version is 5.15, other versions are experimental and should not be considered stable.

4 hours ago, franck102 said:

I haven't tried to setup a serial interface, is there any way to see all boot messages from the previous - failed - boot?

If the system didn't boot, there are no messages from the previous boot. However the serial port will provide very helpful information about the failed boot reasons.

Personally, i never had any problem with the keyboard plugged in the alone USB 2.0 port, in fact it is common way I use the board.

Will check when possible, but indeed the kernel version is essential.

I am using the officially supported version, Jammy 22.08 CLI, and the board has the 16Gb emmc.

The board has 2 USB 2 ports I believe, and only one USB 3 type A port (the other one is type C)

I have some serial adapters lying around from Arduino projects, I’ll try to set that up when I find the time.

Franck

Same problem. But little different whay, when i relocate my system using  boot from EMMC  / system on USB drive all go fine until i add some rogramms ( like wireguard or HA Supervised with all dependesis). I can boot from sd and locate some logs form usb if there any one can help to reslove thise issue.
P.S. I modify boot file armbianEnv.txt to add "extraargs=systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=0" in end of file, but after thet i restarted few times and its be fine until i setup wireguard and ntp (clear freshly installed armbian bullseye.) 
Mb i didnt do that, or i modify wrong file ? There few locate where i find them.

Add.
Again load from sd and user armbian-config boot from EMMC  / system on USB drive . Install just 1 porgramm (wireguard) and it didnt boot after reboot 0_o.
Can some one say, if i whant to erase all data from emmc , can i erase partitions mmcblk1boot0 and boot1?
I realy little newbe in thise. How boot work on that boards ?

add 2.
Find manual to orange pi 4 lts, and the sey next:

Цитата

If there is a problem with startup after burning, you can use the following command to clear the eMMC first, and then try burning again: 1. First insert the TF card, then start the system, and then use the ls /dev/mmcblk*command to view all the mmc device nodes in the system, eMMC generally has twoboot partitions, there is no TF card, through /dev/mmcblk1boot1 You can knowthat the block device of eMMC is /dev/mmcblk1 (not all systems must be mmcblk1, please refer to what you actually see). orangepi@orangepi:~$ ls /dev/mmcblk* /dev/mmcblk1 /dev/mmcblk1boot0 /dev/mmcblk1boot1 /dev/mmcblk1p1 /dev/mmcblk1rpmb /dev/mmcblk2 /dev/mmcblk2p1 2. Now that we know that the block device of eMMC is /dev/mmcblk1, we canusethe following command to clear eMMC: orangepi@orangepi:~$ sudo dd bs=1M if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk1 \ count=1000 The above command of= specifies the device node of eMMC, and count=1000will clear the first 1GB of eMMC space. If you think it is not enough, you can increase this value.

After that i again migrate my boot on emmc and reboot some times... its boot normaly.
After that install wireguard and reboot... and its not boot (((
Just see in instalation log that os smth do in /boot folder (and free space up to 14gb ) O_o