tinkerboard minimal console bullseye hdmi hotplug for teamviewer issue

Serkan Polat

hi ,

i installed Armbian 22.11 Jammy minimal image for headless console only usage. 

uname -a
Linux tinkerboard 5.15.80-rockchip #22.11.1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Nov 30 11:05:19 UTC 2022 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux

i installed teamviewer and if device rebooted with hdmi connected, i am able to use  teamviewer and teamviewer shows shell output

but when rebooted without hdmi cable connected, teamviewer seems working on device , but cant connect it.. 

here is teamviewer info 

TeamViewer                           15.37.3  (DEB)

TeamViewer ID:                        1374960804

teamviewerd status                   ● teamviewerd.service - TeamViewer remote control daemon
     Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/teamviewerd.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: active (running) since Fri 2022-12-23 13:40:52 +03; 6min ago
    Process: 1659 ExecStart=/opt/teamviewer/tv_bin/teamviewerd -d (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
   Main PID: 1758 (teamviewerd)
      Tasks: 18 (limit: 4734)
     Memory: 13.3M
        CPU: 6.351s
     CGroup: /system.slice/teamviewerd.service
             └─1758 /opt/teamviewer/tv_bin/teamviewerd -d

Dec 23 13:40:47 tinkerboard systemd[1]: Starting TeamViewer remote control daemon...
Dec 23 13:40:52 tinkerboard systemd[1]: teamviewerd.service: Can't open PID file /run/teamviewerd.pid (yet?) after start: Operation not permitted
Dec 23 13:40:52 tinkerboard systemd[1]: Started TeamViewer remote control daemon.

so what i tried on armbianEnv.txt with several combinations (even one by one and with different combinations)

setenv video-mode sunxi:640x480-24@60,monitor=dvi,hpd=0,edid=0

setenv videoconfig "drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=edid/1024x768.bin"
setenv HPD "false"
setenv vout "dvi"
saveenv

and recompiled boot.cmd with: 

sudo mkimage -C none -A arm -T script -d /boot/boot.cmd /boot/boot.scr

still cant connect teamviewer without hdmi cable.. 

so what am i missing? or how to do it properly on tinkerboard with armbian?

ps: it was easy on raspberrypi , just change resolution in raspi-config and save.. teamviewer started to work.. 

thanks.. 

Perhaps, and I say perhaps, you're not getting anything on teamviewer without HDMI cable because simply there is no framebuffer, since resolution is not known.

You may try to force an EDID to the linux kernel to let it believe there is an HDMI device with some parameters attached, but I won't endorse this solution for any reason: despite the fact that turning on HDMI requires a significant amount of energy just to keep the circuitry on, if you need teamviewer to access the terminal is a bad solution to a common problem; the right solution would be ssh, which is much more handy.

ssh is not preferred in my business.. since devices maybe behind firewall , best approach is to use teamviewer or zerotier .. so zerotier free for 25 devices.  and uses different ports then 80

teamviewer can use port 80 and its suitable for my job. i will use hundreds of this device :)

On 12/23/2022 at 11:52 AM, Serkan Polat said:

i installed Armbian 22.11 Jammy minimal image for headless console only usage.

On 12/25/2022 at 4:57 PM, jock said:

the right solution would be ssh

+1

1 hour ago, Serkan Polat said:

since devices maybe behind firewall

How is this an argument for TeamViewer? TeamViewer needs to communicate over a port too. Sorry, didn't read carefully. ssh can be configured to use port 80 too.

ssh can be configured to use port 80 yes.. but the endpoints does not have static ip adresses.. and sometimes 100 device uses the same ip.. 

teamviewer is the easiest solution and i have commercial version of it.. :)

if you show me how to poll all ssh devices to a single server and connect them, let's do it.. 

actually i made a workaround , i created an encrypted websocket app that directly talks to my webserver. 

i can ssh over http with websocket to devices.. if my app crashes.. then i lost connection.. i need a better way to do it.. and i ended it up with teamviewer.

also i have my own zerotier server but it does not always works as expected when using custom server.. 

@Serkan Polat no static public address, hundreds of device behind NAT, ... sounds like you should work on network level rather than trying to get access to the devices using some trick that firewalls may intercept. For example, I would consider to let your devices establish a VPN targeting an external public server that acts as a gateway. If your firewall allows free outbound traffic you should have no issues with wireguard/openvpn solution.