[Orange Pi 5] boot from usb using UEFI\GRUB

Sumn255

I have seen the uefi port for Rock 5B, which uses rk3588. seed this 

the opi5 use rk3588s which may lack some IOs, so I think maybe it can work on opi5 without modification. (actually i don't know how to modify to fit for it, need to learn)

here i show you the result, I burn the uefi image (complied from balbes150's repo: https://github.com/150balbes/edk2_uefi ) to a tf card, then burn the image from balbes150's post to a usb portable ssd. then i change the dtb. The efi and grub can boot form tf card and then load the image from my usb ssd. successfully enter the Armbian and seems no big issues.

But this can only work on the 2 type-A usb3.0, i try on usb2.0 type-A, the kernel can boot but seems there is some issue on mounting rootfs because the ttl stop printing kernel log after a while. The type-C usb or nvme ssd can't work  yet. Burning balbes150's image directly into tf is not work, it will stuck in uefi menu. what's more, the name of the compiled uefi image is RK3588_NOR_FLASH.img. maybe it is made for nor flash but i havn't try yet, but it can work in tf card.

Here is the detail:

1. clone the repo and follow the instructions to compile the uefi image, then get the RK3588_NOR_FLASH.img. use dd command or etcher tools to burn it into a tf card.

2. donwload the image from balbes150's netdrive, extract and burn it into a flash-disk or portable ssd

3. mount the flash-disk's rootfs partiotion (ext4 format), and copy the dtb file rk3588s-orangepi-5.dtb ( get it from orangepi's official debian/ubuntu image, in fat32 boot partition dtb directory) to /boot/linux-image-5.10.110-media/rockchip/ directory. I also copy the dtb to efi partition dtb/rockchip/ directoty but it seems no need to do this

4. modify the grub.cfg, in rootfs partition /boot/grub/grub.cfg directory. replace all the rk3588-rock-5b.dtb to rk3588s-orangepi-5.dtb.

5. plug in the tf and flash-disk to type-A usb3.0, and it will auto boot to armbian. remember the uefi now only support uart console, not support hdmi out now. With the correct dtb form vender, the armbian seems work well, and the wired network and nvme ssd work fine in Armbian. I only try the headless image, next time I have a try a desktop image.

I am not familiar with efi(maybe i can try to learn) , but I hope there is a efi port for opi5 can work perfectlly one day. efi should be the mainline in the future, and it can be powerfull I think, at least it can boot form tf, usb and nvme and seems support android boot, and, maybe it can boot a windows on rk3588 one day!