OdroidC4 with Hardkernel Display VU7Aplus: Display dimensions not detected properly?

andi61

Hello to all,

I have an OdroidC4 with a Hardkernel HDMI Display VU7Aplus.
I installed latest image 22.11 XFCE.

I think the display size via display data channel is not properly handled.
If a lot of text is to be displayed (see pic with the setting of the locale after first login), the lowest lines disappear.
So you have to type in the language/continent/country settings blind, because there is no input prompt to be seen.
Even when the GUI desktop starts, there is the same issue. When you open a terminal window, the lower border of the window
disappears (see pic).

Is there a way to configure the display size manually?

I also did a complete new build (Armbian_23.02.0-trunk_Odroidc4_jammy_current_6.1.11_xfce_desktop) , there is the same problem, as with the stable image from the download area.

Thanks for any help in advance

Andy

IMG_6683.jpg

IMG_6684.jpg

Hello to all,

I read the forum und docs and I have to review my previous post:
Within XFCE desktop the resolution is correct (1024*600), which I could determine via display settings.
When I opened the terminal window out of the menu (it shows thereafter with lower edge out of display) this was a bit missleading: ONLY THIS window shows this behaviour, all
other windows are working fine. And I found another terminal window within "system" menu, called XFCE Terminal. This also works fine.
Why there are two differrent terminal windows in XFCE I don´t know...

But if it comes to the CLI images I still have the problem with too many lines in the terminal.

I tried all sorts of configuration in boot.cmd, even with:
setenv display_autodetect "false"
setenv hdmimode "custombuilt"
setenv modeline "1024,600,49000,37347,60,1024,1029,1042,1312,600,602,605,622,0,1,1"

And sure I compiled it with "mkimage -C none -A arm -T script -d /boot/boot.cmd /boot/boot.scr" to make it effective.
There was never a change in the command line interface. Always too many lines printed, so I cannot work with it properly.
Actually if I compare the output on the HDMI-Display with the debug serial output via Putty, there are about 7 lines which are missing on the HDMI-Display because it does not scroll.

--> the modeline string I got from investigating the original Hardkernel Boot Partition, there is a file display.bin, which isn´t a binary, but an ASCII-File with this contents:
"Auto Detect OK:custombuilt,hdmi(1024,600,49000,37347,60,1024,1029,1042,1312,600,602,605,622,0,1,1)"
This implies that the Hardkernel folks use the "custombuilt" option too for their displays?

I am aware of the fact that there are difficulties in between armbian and Hardkernel due to lack of support from Hardkernel.
But on the other side when I had to decide what SBC to buy for a new project, the OdroidC4 seemed to be not a bad choice. It has eMMC and a reliable power plug (instead of micro-USB).
So I bought the display from the same vendor as well to be compatible.

Maybe many others decided it the same way like me and might have the same problems too. So a solution would help them as well.

I would very much appreciate a hint how to reduce the number of printed lines in the command line interface, or how these lines can be adjusted in respect to the display resolution.

Thanks a lot indeed

Andy