OPi 4 LTS - no HDMI output

PatrikO

Hello,

I'm having issues with my Orange Pi 4 LTS.

I cannot get any HDMI output at the moment. Neither with the Debian flashed on the eMMC, or with Armbian running of the SD card.

In both cases I can SSH into the Orange and run commands normally.

The HDMI worked just a day before, but in the meantime I was flashing different systems and it stopped working.

I tried different monitors and cables.

Any ideas what can I do?

Have the same problem on Orange Pi 4 LTS. Last working version was Armbian_22.08.1_Orangepi4-lts_jammy_current_5.15.63. After system update monitor was black but system was still up and connectable trough SSH. Installing Armbian_23.02.2_Orangepi4-lts_jammy_current_5.15.93 shows the same result.

Any suggestion will appreciated.

I can reinstall Armbian_22.08.1 for analysis.

Thanks in advance.

edit:

Please forget what I've said about Armbian_23.02.2_Orangepi4-lts. Meanwhile I've got 23.02.2_Orangepi4-lts running flawlessly. My last testing environment had a broken HDMI-cable. Thus it has no urgency anymore for me.

Sorry & thanks.

I resume this thread to see if anyone is still interested in this issue: I can provide a minimal testing image to see if some patches may reduce or eliminate the HDMI problem.

Please answer here if there is still interest in this topic

Wow perfect timing. I just got an Orange Pi 4 LTS today and experienced the same HDMI issues reported by OP when trying to use the Armbian_23.5.1_Orangepi4-lts_bookworm_current_6.1.30_xfce_desktop image.

Your experimental image works perfectly.

01.08.2023 в 15:31, jock сказал:

I prepared an experimental minimal build for Orange Pi 4 LTS with some extra patches that may fix the HDMI issues:

https://users.armbian.com/jock/misc/Armbian_23.08.0-trunk_Orangepi4-lts_bookworm_edge_6.3.13_minimal.img.xz

Please describe briefly the problem that you managed to solve in order to make HDMI work

P.S. @jock Or just let me take a look at the changes in the git repository.

1 hour ago, going said:

Please describe briefly the problem that you managed to solve in order to make HDMI work

Eh, I had to apply the famous libreelec patches (most of them are work from @Kwiboo, btw) that change and fix the various HDMI timings and the subsystem in general.

I cut out those patches which seems to be non applicable to the case, but still there are plenty of them (I actually count 48 of them) that, in a way or another, touch the rockchip HDMI subsystem; some of them are difficult to remove because there depend from each other, but I will try to refine to get a small group of patches.

Those changes seem to solve problems both with rk3399 and with rk3318/rk3328 and also provide new features, but I don't want to encounter the wall of the last time I did the refactor of the rockchip64 patches into series.

BTW this is the commit on my private branch were the work is in progress (based upon 6.3, but I will rebase upon 6.4 soon)

28 минут назад, jock сказал:

BTW this is the commit on my private branch were the work is in progress (based upon 6.3, but I will rebase upon 6.4 soon)

Thanks, I saw it.

30 минут назад, jock сказал:

I cut out those patches which seems to be non applicable to the case, but still there are plenty of them (I actually count 48 of them) that, in a way or another, touch the rockchip HDMI subsystem; some of them are difficult to remove because there depend from each other, but I will try to refine to get a small group of patches.

Those changes seem to solve problems both with rk3399 and with rk3318/rk3328 and also provide new features, but I don't want to encounter the wall of the last time I did the refactor of the rockchip64 patches into series.

48 fixes or 148 is a small difference.
The main thing in switching to the series is the ease of maintenance, there are a large number of small patches (several thousand) of the code.

I think people are used to something different. They are used to experiencing the torment of processing several dozen patches, and we say

that there will be 1000 patches and it will be easier to maintain, they just don't believe it.

Hello; for anyone is still having issues with HDMI output, I have arranged a minimal set of patches that could go into mainline armbian.

The .deb packages for an experimental 6.6.25 kernel and dtbs are here. Just install them with dpkg -i

I can't test if they are effective by myself because I have no setup where HDMI fails, nonetheless they seem not to harm my current setup.

If you can afford to try that experimental kernel, please report your experience, thanks!