Rock 5B No HDMI Audio

dropbear

Hi, I've installed Armbian 23.02 Jammy Gnome (Release date: Feb 18, 2023). Mostly it works well, including the instructions on the download page to enable 3D acceleration. However, my video is output to a TV through HDMI, and there is no audio. There are four "Analog Output - Built In Audio" options in the sound settings, I have tried all four and none of them make any sound. I have also tried to change all five options in the configuration tab of PulseAudio volume control. All are labelled "Built-in Audio" and there are no options in any of them other than "Stereo Output", "Stereo Input", "Stereo Output + Stereo Input" and "Off".

I don't know if this is related, but I took a look at alsamixer. I am not familiar with it, but it looks different on my Rock 5B to what I saw when I googled the problem. There are two HDMI cards I can choose from, but both of them only have the loopback mode selection shown in the attached photos - using the right and left keys does nothing. I can change the loopback modes (e.g. in one of the images I changed it to mode 2 swap) but that made no difference.

Screenshots of alsamixer are attached. Paste of armbianmonitor -U is at https://controlc.com/23951803

Thank you for any assistance you can give.

Alsamixer1.png

Alsamixer2.png

I am not familiar with alsamixer, especially with command line interface. But I want to add that I had some touble getting audio through HDMI when I tried the Jammy Gnome / Jammy XFCE images. It was kind of intermittent. I was messing with some settings and I think somehow when I changed to independent volume in L and R channel and changed them back, somehow the sound appeared. I could not reproduce the condition again, but I think you might want to try to tweak a few unrelated settings.

Also you might want to check your power supply? I had other board stability issues when I did not give it enough power. I do not know to what extend is the known PD power supply problem solved in current software, but as I was booting from NVMe I could use a PD supply. The other safe bet is to provide 12V supply directly from the pins.

Hello. I'm having the same problem exept I still get sound (Stereo sound) from the analog outputs. However, it seems impossible to get the output to turn into a digital output which makes this board absolutly useless for my purposes. I'm trying to use it as a media player and have it connected to a tv and surround reciever. So having only stereo output makes watching movies a bit lackluster. Also, the option for audio passthrough doesn't exist in Kodi. I'm thinking that must be because there is only analog pulseaudio outputs. I've been trying for hours to get this to work and can't find a solution but me and OP can't be the only ones having this problem so if anyone have a solution? Is there a driver or module missing to make hdmi audio out digital? Could there be some other problem?

Thanks.

I don't have a device for test the HDMI part, however I can confirm the audio could be working better. Also the audio quality from the 3.5 output is not the best. My workaround is either using BT (my wifi stick also features BT) or using an USB sound device. Both is working as expected.

this helped me:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pipewire-debian/pipewire-upstream
sudo apt install pipewire pipewire-audio-client-libraries gstreamer1.0-pipewire libpipewire-0.3-{0,dev,modules} libspa-0.2-{bluetooth,dev,jack,modules} pipewire{,-{audio-client-libraries,pulse,media-session,bin,locales,tests}} -y

systemctl --user daemon-reload
systemctl --user --now disable pulseaudio.service pulseaudio.socket
systemctl --user --now enable pipewire pipewire-pulse
pactl info
reboot