Proper way to install Armbian linux on H96 Pro Plus s912 or equivalent CLI ver.

Krypton

Proper way to install Armbian linux on H96 Pro Plus s912 or equivalent CLI ver.

for those who have trouble in their existing systems.

I have been installing/testing on my old dusty H96 pro plus Armbian Linux tested both flavours Debian and Ubuntu

from almost all sources nothing works 100% on emmc except one source and installing method which i will

mention below.

Problem faced: Even correct SDcard burn with proper uncomment dtb for s912 and rename correct uboot as mentioned

all over the forums: - installing on emmc problem, system halt on reboot/shutdown/power on/idle, Ethernet disconnection, no WiFi

even with correct ath10k module in libraries, keyboard hang, lost HDMI signal etc.

Correct Installation method for H96 Pro Plus s912 and possible similar Boxes (not tested)

Tested on H96 Pro Plus 3gb/32gb Green PCB -  CLI version only.

Download Armbian linux from community https://github.com/armbian/community/

for aml-s9xx-box Release: lunar Variant: CLI    As on 10/04/2023

Please see Direct file link below.

1. Connect your HDMI, LAN, Keyboard cable with box

2. Make a bootable SDcard 16gb is enough with rufus

3. After burn completed go to DOS partition and edit file /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf for correct

dbt i.e FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-gxm-q200.dtb uncomment it and comment others (Note: if don’t see DOS partition on SDcard assign drive letter on windows)

4. Boot the SDcard with toothpick method (keep pressing the reset button and insert power cable)

Note: In case your sdcard doesn’t boot rename u-boot-s905x-s912 to uboot.ext (my box booted without renaming it so first try without renaming)

5. After successful boot, assign root password, assign user etc. when you back to the prompt just do nothing but install OS to your emmc by typing command "./install-aml.sh"

or "sh install-aml.sh"

6. After migrating OS to box emmc SWITCH OFF THE BOX" by removing power cable and back it on applying power cable again. (Give pause of 2 to 3 sec in between)

7. It should boot up from emmc successfully !

8. Freeze Kernel update from armbian-config and update your system with apt update and apt upgrade command make sure after upgrade POWER OFF AGAIN and ON like before this the last time we are doing this just in case.

9. Your system is ready !! if you want WIFI support just copy ath10k module from the link below (copy directory “ath10k” from lib-firmware/  to your system directory "/lib/firmware/" and then reboot (credit goes to @mazdlc)

This method is working for me 100% tested box for 5 days online without any hiccups.

Link for firmware: https://github.com/armbian/community/releases/download/23.05.0-trunk-e33842ef2/Armbian_23.05.0-trunk-e33842ef2_Aml-s9xx-box_lunar_edge_6.2.9.img.xz#aml-s9xx-box

link for WIFI fix: https://github.com/maz-1/h96-pro-plus-armbian-stuff

WARNING: I HAVE NOT BE ABLE TO GET BACK TO ANDROID WITH SDCARD RECOVERY OR WITH USB BURNING TOOL TO STOCK ANDROID FIRMWARE - AS I DON'T REALLY CARE AND NEVER TRIED MUCH SO IF YOU ARE CONCERN ABOUT STOCK USE ONLY SDCARD BOOT DO NOT TRANSFER FIRMWARE TO EMMC AS IT WILL OVERWRITE YOUR BOOT AND POSSIBLE RECOVERY IF YOU REALLY WANT TO PROCEED - DO IT ON YOUR OWN RISK !

Edited by Krypton

"Good afternoon. Thank you very much for your willingness to share your experience. Yesterday I went to bed at 2:00 am trying to follow your instructions, but unfortunately my h96 PRO+ did not even boot from the SD card. Even though I did exactly what you instructed, including changing the name of the file. When I turn on the power of the TVBox with the reset button pressed and the SD card inserted, it simply goes into a loop, only showing the H96 PRO Plus logo and then disappearing and reappearing. When I eject the SD card and press the reset button, the expected behavior occurs and it goes into the Android boot, with the default options "Factory Reset, etc..."."

20 hours ago, Priscilo Jessico Silva said:

When I turn on the power of the TVBox with the reset button pressed and the SD card inserted, it simply goes into a loop, only showing the H96 PRO Plus logo and then disappearing and reappearing.

That sounds like you have then properly enabled multiboot and it is trying to boot from the sd card.

On 4/9/2023 at 6:19 PM, Krypton said:

Note: In case your sdcard doesn’t boot rename u-boot-s905x-s912 to uboot.ext

Have you done this step to enable the boot process from the sd card?

It should boot from SDcard follow the step 3 and 4 properly. Verify the SDcard for proper image brunet. Try some other img burn software like Raspberry Imager etc.  I have noticed that once you successfully boot from sdcard even you turn off the device it will still boot through SDcard without reset even you have OS in emmc. when you remove the card it will the boot from emmc.

I have also tested Armbian Desktop image with same procedure and it worked well.

Good luck

Okay, I'll try to format the SD with another program other than Rufus. The image was the one you suggested. I followed step 3 and 4 correctly. Once again, thank you for your support and attention. Information extracted from my H96 Pro Plus:

<<< System >>>

Device Model: Alfawise H96 Pro+
Device Type: TV Box
Manufacturer: Amlogic
Model: H96 PRO+
Brand: Amlogic
Board: q201_9377
Device: q201_9377
Hardware: amlogic
Platform: gxm
Product: q201_9377
Installed RAM: 3 GB
Total Memory: 2775 MB
Available Memory: 1207 MB
Internal Storage Total Space: 25.72 GB
Internal Storage Free Space: 23.72 GB
Bluetooth Version: 4+

<<< CPU >>>

SoC Model: AMLogic S912
Core Architecture: 8x ARM Cortex-A53 @ 1000 MHz
Manufacturing Process: 28 nm
Instruction Set: 64-bit ARMv8-A
CPU Revision: r0p4
CPU Cores: 8
CPU Clock Range: 100 - 1512 MHz

Greetings people,

I'm trying the same and I'm failing, like Priscilo I've tried again and again, but nothing seems to work, sd card never boots, I've burned the image with rufus and with balena, I've edited the file, and nothin, if I keep pressing the reset buton meanwhile I plug in the energy to the H96 it shows the logo, blak screen, logo, etc.. if I stop pressing the button when I see the logo, I see the logo, black screen, logo and then but from internal memory... I'm becoming mad, just not know what else to try.

Yes I'm sorry, it's exactly the same situation that all the people talking here, h96 pro plus, 3Gb, s912 processor, the instructions, the ones of the post here, using meson-gxm-q200.dtb, it all the same.  It will be great if Priscilo can comment about if he finally fixed or found the trouble because I think it's the same trouble.

thanks in advance. 

Ok, now I found out that there is an app that tells you the name of your board, mine on a h96 pro plus is a gxm-q201, not 200 like the post said, I've changed to that dbt, but stills not boot, I guess it's something to do with u-boot, I'll try to learn more about it, I tested an emulec image to see if it boots, and boots without any trouble, anyway it fails to run because after installing it end with a blank screen, but boots! that's much more that that armbian image, I'll center investigations on u-boot. 

15 minutes ago, Jaume Palomer García said:

device info HW

this is the app, here you can find the exact name of the board inside your android box.

A note that cheap android tv boxes are known to report fake data to the os.  The best think to do is to open the box and directly inspect the board/chips.  But even then, some manufacturers will alter the markings on their chips to falsify the board makeup.  The goal for TV box manufacturers it so produce the lowest price box, so corners are cut everywhere.  That is why it is impossible to support these boxes well, as any two boxes can have different internal components.

Good morning...at least here in Africa (Tanzania).

I have followed your directions perfectly and it worked as it booted up. note: my device has a green main board and not a blue one as it seems to have different characteristics. My problem is that I dont seem to be able to install/activate a GIU. I am a total idiot and new to ARMBIAN and LINUX in general. Honestly, I don't even know how to find a file on a USB drive.

Please help with subsequent steps to install this as I would really like to use this device as a NAS as I have seen that there is software available for ARMBIAN to do this.

....AND most importantly.....THANK YOU for the help and guidelines.

what is CLI  ?

I have a H96 Pro+  Ultra HD TV Box S912  3gb/32gb here I would like to try to flash, Purchased in 2016.

Heat sink is covering chip, I can't tell if board is blue or green,   Teal?   

white letters on board ' S32-V3(DDR4)  2016-12-15(A15) '