I2C sensor on OPI5

OttawaHacker

I need to move my homeassistant from rpi4 to an opi5 but I have some I2C sensors connected. Had anyone any luck configuring python and gpio to work with I2C sensors? This was a bit rough a while ago and the kernel support seems much more limited compared to the rpi4 for this type of use case. Any experience?

18 hours ago, renaudrenaud said:

that's an interesting find - from what I looked:

- the project did not use the default lcd monitor driver, going to guess that there is no direct support for any of the micro python libraries

- the project is running the code as root - not sure if there is any way to prevent that

Will figure out more once I receive my opi for this project...

On 7/15/2023 at 6:20 PM, renaudrenaud said:

I was able to run the adafruit libraries with a BMP 390 on my Orange PI 5. However I had to update couple pin/port combinations in the adafruit libraries. I opened a PR for this added support for i2c1-m4 overlay in orange pi 5

Process was not too complicated:

- activate i2c layout in overlays - I only tested i2c1-m4

- install gpio (wiringpi library) to read the pin numbers. It will show the logical pins enabled by the overlay (you need to look at the pinout diagram for physical pins)

- I added a combination for SDA/SCL pins that matches the overlay and pins - needs to go in two spots in the adafruit code

Btw, kudos to the new 25.8 version - it has python 3.11 out of the box.