End 2023: which ARM board with better performance than Raspberry (I want 4K) and good Linux support? Which is the flagship of 2023 for TV box?

Carmella Benton

Hi

With a web search and in Kodi wiki I found only outdated info.

Which ARM board with much better performance than Raspberry (I want 4K streaming) and good Linux support? Which is the flagship of 2023 for TV box?

Installation and setup should be easy, like a x86 PC.

I am not yet sure if I run LibreElec or armbian

Thanks

Flagship I'd say anything that is based on RK3588(S). However mainline support is still in development, legacy got most of the stuff working.

If you want something older that is well matured and should handle 4k with ease I'd say something with RK3399. For latter LibreELEC provides images for various boards.

It sounds like you are mostly interested in streaming so go for LibreELEC. If you want generic Linux desktop with Debian/Ubuntu userspace functionality go for Armbian.

As a generic hint I recommend avoiding so called "TV Boxes" altogether. These devices are like cancer on the market. Undocumented, no source codes, no BSP, removed/inaccessible debug console, mutating uncontrolled (vendors tend to change hw components without notice and simply keeping the product name while breaking software support). Better get a proper board. Here is some inspiration:https://www.armbian.com/download/