Porting VIM1S official build to S905Y4 and s905W2 TV boxes

mat

Hi. I'm out of my depth here, but I noticed that one of the official Armbian builds with platinum support is for the Khadas VIM1S, which has a S905Y4 SOC with 2GB of RAM. This is a similar configuration to many cheap Android TV boxes. According to some sources I can find, the S905W2 is also in the same family as the S905Y4 (Amlogic NE S4). Both are also supported by Coreelec, although I understand that Coreelec DTB's can't be used with Armbian.

What would be involved in porting Armbian from the VIM1S to S905Y4/S905W2 TV boxes? Is this likely to work, and where could I start? Thanks!

Armbian & Khadas are rewarding contributors

@mat  Thanks for your willingness to work on this.  If what you are saying is correct, then the linux kernel already being shipped for all amlogic boards should support this specific cpu (I don't believe there is a special kernel built for the vim1s).  Then the issues boil down to dtb's and u-boot.  Ideally this should be incorporated into the aml-s9xx-box builds.  The most difficult part is likely to be the u-boot.