[Pine64] Static MAC address on mainline ubuntu xenial

Shane Hsu

Hi,

I was unable to get static MAC address working on my Pine64.

I have the kernel boot argument, 

console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rootwait rootfstype=ext4 panic=10 consoleblank=0 enforcing=0 loglevel=1 mac_addr=3a:bd:50:94:8b:06

But still, the from dmesg,

[   12.954581] sun8i-emac 1c30000.ethernet: device MAC address slot 0 aa:90:02:81:eb:e9

In the interfaces file,

auto eth0

iface eth0 inet dhcp

hwaddress ether 3a:bd:50:94:8b:06

But this caused error in ifup and system start up (networking cannot start since ifup failed with device in use)

Although ifup failed, eth0 is visible in ifconfig, which means something else had already brought it up.

Any ideas?

The procedure you try above only works with BSP u-boot/kernel (legacy). You could add the HW address to the .dtb file as outlined by Martin: http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=2078&pid=19149#pid19149

As far as I understood this issue will be fixed sometimes in the future, when u-boot creates a unique MAC address based on A64's so called SID (kind of serial number) and then a dts alias will provide this to Linux' Ethernet driver. But since all of this is still WiP (and especially Ethernet driver will change) it's not worth the efforts to try to fix this now in Armbian.