Deploying same image to multiple Orange Pi 0s

reverend_t

Hi all

I have a project where I'll be deploying the same configuration (including IP addresses) to a multiple Orange Pi Zeros. There will be some slight differences (hostname, information in one script) but largely identical.

I was thinking about using a Linux VM to run a script that changes a base image (from a pre-set up machine) makes the changes and burns an image onto microsd. Is this a viable approach? Will I need to change anything else (MAC address related stuff?)

Cheers! 

So I asked on IRC and knowledgeable people told me that the answer is: Yes, it should be fine to copy images across Orange Pi Zeros as uboot should (correctly as of a week ago) generate a new MAC address FOR ETHERNET based on the hash of a unique SOC identifier. So you will have to change IP configuration/host names as necessary, but apart from that no issues. I'll report further when I actually receive my Pi0s.

FOR WI-FI, check the post by @tkaiser below that shows where a random mac is hardcoded at first run.

Happy cloning people!

@tkaiser @Igor - could we mark this thread as solved?

So I asked on IRC and knowledgeable people told me that the answer is: Yes, it should be fine to copy images across Orange Pi Zeros as uboot should (as of a week ago) generate a new MAC address based on the hash of a unique SOC identifier. So you will have to change IP configuration/host names as necessary, but apart from that no issues. I'll report further when I actually receive my Pi0s.

Then please have a look at https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib/blob/master/scripts/firstrun#L134 first.

People on linux-sunxi IRC might have been told you how situation with latest and greatest mainline u-boot/kernel might look like so you know what to expect if Armbian provides OS images with mainline kernel in a few months that are supported (our nightly builds aren't and are dedicated to developers and not end users -- but since we never get any useful feedback we could also stop to provide them at all).

Then please have a look at https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib/blob/master/scripts/firstrun#L134 first.

People on linux-sunxi IRC might have been told you how situation with latest and greatest mainline u-boot/kernel might look like so you know what to expect if Armbian provides OS images with mainline kernel in a few months that are supported (our nightly builds aren't and are dedicated to developers and not end users -- but since we never get any useful feedback we could also stop to provide them at all).

ah, saw your response over there first :) OK, well I've been building my own Armbian images (build system's quite addictive). So I guess I'll have this advantage for a while. If I revert back to legacy then I can use the code in the firstrun script to generate sane MAC addresses for Allwinner. Cheers!

ah, saw your response over there first :) OK, well I've been building my own Armbian images (build system's quite addictive). So I guess I'll have this advantage for a while. If I revert back to legacy then I can use the code in the firstrun script to generate sane MAC addresses for Allwinner. Cheers!

Sorry, I overlooked that you were asking about Ethernet and not Wi-Fi. With Ethernet MAC address is always based on SoC's SID :)

Sorry, I overlooked that you were asking about Ethernet and not Wi-Fi. With Ethernet MAC address is always based on SoC's SID :)

Ha! No probs sir. I think there needs to be some forum add on that that for the next few months gently removes posts that contain both "Wi-Fi" and "OPi0". Think of the heartache avoided :D