Installation on YUNDOO Y6 TV Box with S905X

ASGL

Hello,

I would be grateful for some assistance on a sound issue. I installed Armbian_20.10_Arm-64_bullseye_current_5.9.0_desktop.img.xz on a YUNDOO Y6 TV Box with S905X. It worked fine, but I believe that there is no support for Armbian 20 anymore. Useful info, the sound was OK and the audio card was identified as GXL-S905X-P212.

Then, I tried various versions of Armbian_23.11.1_Aml-s9xx-box_bookworm_current_6.1.63 and Armbian_23.11.1_Aml-s9xx-box_jammy_current_6.1.63. Most of them do work, but none detects the sound card. Now I am playing with Armbian_23.11.1_Aml-s9xx-box_bookworm_current_6.1.63_xfce_desktop.img, which actually has meson-gxl-s905x-p212.dtb in boot/dtb/amlogic. Yet, it cannot see the soundcard. No matter how I try, GXL-S905X-P212 is never shown as a connected device.

I would appreciate any suggestion. However, please keep in mind that I am hardly an expert in Linux and have never tried Debian (only some variations of Ubuntu, and even that at beginner’s level).

Contribute to Armbian FOSS project and win a powerful workstation from Khadas!

Issue solved (primitively but effectively)

I have simply replaced the Armbian_23.11.1 meson-gxl-s905x-p212.dtb file in boot/dtb/amlogic with the same file from Armbian_20.10. A new "Built-in audio stereo" soundcard has appeared in the Volume Control window. Its port is labeled "Analog Output" but, in fact, it works on HDMI.

I believe that the old and new dtb files are very similar but the Armbian_23.11.1 has dropped support for whatever version of the soundcard I have. This is not so surprising given that my YUNDOO Y6 was probably made in 2014-2015.