Should uefi-x86 / uefi-arm64 family set UEFI_GRUB_TERMINAL to "gfxterm vga_text console serial" rather than "gfxterm" by default ?

Hi community,

Context

I build my own custom Arabian image on arm 32bit (prod), and experimenting running the following armbian image configuration on Qemu with console/serial only support for  uefi-x86 and uefi-arm64 boards to speed up development/test.

BOARD="refi-x86"

BUILD_DESKTOP="no"

BUILD_MINIMAL="yes"

CONSOLE_AUTOLOGIN="no"

REVISION="23.11.2"

Problem

I stumble upon something odd: both "uefi-*" boards are configured to only run GRUB in gfxterm mode ONLY.

BOARD: uefi-86        -> BOARDFAMILY="uefi-x86".        -> UEFI_GRUB_TERMINAL="gfxterm" [0]

BOARD: uefi-arm64 -> BOARDFAMILY="uefi-arm64".  -> UEFI_GRUB_TERMINAL="gfxterm" [1]

[0] https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/2afd8fe9bb8aca33a2a3913e931fc43c43c8e309/config/sources/families/uefi-x86.conf#L11

[1] https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/2afd8fe9bb8aca33a2a3913e931fc43c43c8e309/config/sources/families/uefi-arm64.conf#L10

Image built from these boards should be runnable as CLI image (no gui) or Desktop image (gui).

However, when running with  

qemu -nographic ...

these image can't boot up to a working shell and produce an error: "GRUB: gfxterm is not supported"

Proposed change
I would like to submit a patch to change UEFI_GRUB_TERMINAL to "gfxterm vga_text console serial" to cover a large set of virtualised hardware configurations.

1. Is this something you guys are interested in ?

2. Does this fix need more than the proposed change to achieve the desired objective ?

Thanks

Edited by David A

• David A changed the title to Should uefi-x86 / uefi-arm64 family set UEFI_GRUB_TERMINAL to "gfxterm vga_text console serial" rather than "gfxterm" by default ?

Armbian & Khadas are rewarding contributors