How to upgrade from kernel 3.19 to kernel 4.0.4

Hi all,

I have a bananapi and I have installed the debian Wheezy image with kernel 3.19.0. Now, I’d like to upgrade to kernel 4.0.4 to see wether the ananlog audio output is supported; so I downloaded all the deb packages from the website and installed them, but after reboot the system is still using kernel 3.19.0. How can I switch it to use kernel 4.0.4? I guess I should edit something in boot.cmd and convert it to boot.scr, but what should I change exactly?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi Igor,

sorry for getting back to this so late. I followed the directions and edited my boot.cmd accordingly, but after generating the boot.scr file and rebooting my bananapi still uses kernel 3.19.0. I've also noticed the changes you made and the introduction of the armbian repo, so I added that and updated the kernel packages following the directions you posted in another topic, but my bananapi keeps booting with kernel 3.19.0. So, how can I boot with the newer 4.1.6 kernel?

OK, since then I also upgrade the upgrade procedure. This one should work also on very old build.

wget -q -O - http://upgrade.armbian.com | bash

If you already create the boot script, remove it before starting this script to make sure you get the proper one.

From here kernel is being updated standard way, apt-get update / upgrade.

Hi Igor,

I tried using your script. It reported that the upgrade was completed successfully, but after reboot.... Well, the bananapi simply didn't reboot properly. So I had to reinstall from a clean image...

After that, I am under the impression that the machine is slower than before. It is consuming more ram for sure (10 mb Wheezy+3.19.0 VS 32 MB Jessie+4.1.6). In addition to this, I am not sure wether the image is using both CPU cores: how can I verify this?

Memory is being reserved differently I guess. Nothing to worry about.

Strange that the upgrade was not successful because it's really very robust..

There are many ways to check if you have two cores. Type htop and see if both cores are running.