Ubuntu vs Debian

Go to solution Solved by NicoD,

Hi all,

Only just found out about Armbian. Looks really useful. Want to use an Orange Pi Zero 3 for Pihole with Unbound and Pivpn.

However, i haven't found an answer for when you would use one distro over the other.

Also which is what in the download listings?

Thank you.

• Solution

Bionic, Focal, jammy Noble are all Ubuntu. 
Buster, Bullseye, bookworm, sid are all Debian versions.

You use what you prefer or what fits your tasks best.
I use Armbian Jammy on my Rock5B since I use it as main desktop and that's the image that works best for that.
On my travel NanoPi R6S I use Armbian Noble because it has a better KDEnlive version to edit and render video's on my cycling trips.
On my NAS ZimaBoard I use Noble because it fixes an issue with mounted drives, but could just as well use a debian version.

For your tasks I would probably use Armbian Bookworm and install the apps.
You probably could use CasaOS on Jammy for these tasks. It is a webinterface that allows you to install and setup docker apps.
To install casaOS on Jammy :

wget -qO- https://get.casaos.io | sudo bash

So both downloadable images are community releases and not official armbian supported images.
There is bookworm Debian 12 minimal which has only the essential things to boot a system and set it up.
The other is Jammy Ubuntu 22.04 with the Gnome desktop. 

I would advice to build your own images with the distro version you want. 

Posted (edited)

Hi NicoD,

Thanks for your insights.

I am fairly new in Linux as in using it, but have read a lot. So I did know the Ubuntu comes from Debian for instance. Although now administered separately.

Your note above does helps me, so many thanks. I believe a mention of just using what you want should be mentioned in the beginners guide. I didn't see anything like it. Also, which distribution name belongs to what vendor. But that's just my opinion.

CasaOS seems interesting but more than what I need at this stage. 

Building my own is again more that what I am prepared to do stuff this stage, too daunting.

LurchNZ

Edited by LurchNZ
Thoughts and spelling