A car lighter powered OPiLite project - How to solve frequent on/of switching problem?

abramq

Hello,

My project for Orange Pi Lite will be used in a car. To make the installation easy for everyone I would like to supply it from car lighter socket. Of course, this solution is not perfect (frequent insert/pull the plug by the user, current decays etc.).

I mean problems with switching off without shutdown. I also mean how uSD will stand it.

For now, I thing to attach an 18650 cell with booster/charger which will work as a "buffer" to keep current when the lighter socket is off. But I am afraid that it can keep power only for 1-2 hour. Is there a possibility to check the power level of the connected cell and shut down the system when the power is low? Probably a connection will be needed for that booster to send signal to OPiLite? Or maybe there is any other solution?

My second question is about to put OPiLite to use less power when it has nothing to do? I mean automatically or forced by a script (first to go low when there is nothing to do and then to go high, when job should be done).

Edited by abramq
cosmetics

To check voltage/power levels someone recommended INA219 to me (just use search function on the upper right or from my signature). Personally I would prefer a board with PMIC for this kind of setup but then only A10 or A20 boards are possible since lacking software support for good battery support on other PMIC equipped boards.

You might find some consumption related tipps by searching the forum for 'h3consumption' and also in this thread (searching for Lite): https://forum.armbian.com/index.php?/topic/1748-sbc-consumptionperformance-comparisons/

H3 boards support 'suspend to RAM' with legacy kernel and a year ago when I looked into that it worked but I've not the slightest idea whether it's still possible. Basic idea is to define the power button as 'wakeup source' (seems to be defined with our fex file, we use PL03 here and if that's the power button resume should work) and then issue a suspend (worked with the GUI back then by simply using 'Suspend' button -- there's also a way through sysfs but I forgot)