Cubox-i Enablement patches for vanilla linux kernel

Klez

Question

Hi,

If you think that Solid-run Cubox-i kernel branch is becoming outdated, you can use a mainline linux kernel with the following enablement patches:

Russell King home dir:

http://www.home.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/cubox/?C=M;O=D

Grab the most recent hummingboard-cubox-i DIFF big patch and patch it into your vanilla 4.1 kernel source dir.

Then use a default config appropiate for a Cubox-i / Hummingboard:

# make imx_v6_v7_defconfig

hope it helps :)

3 answers to this question

No it´s not.

The vanilla kernel 4.1 rc supports (without any patches) HDMI output much better than the solid-run kernel. Most video modes work in almost all kind of monitors.

Enablement patches are mostly the Etna_Viv staging driver and DTS patches for supporting audio over HDMI ( Synopsis Designware AHB Audio interface) and support for Wifi+Bluetooth Broadcom brcm4330-sdio.

Personally, i do not use the Etna_viv DRM staging driver and i can grant that the HDMI video output is vastly improved with stock unpatched 4.1rc.

You can have a look to my .config file and base your work with it. It´s very stripped for my cubox-i DL.

http://www.klezstyle.com/temp/config-4.1rc-klez.gz

Proudly compiled in my Cubox-i DL with your debian Jessie image.

I´ll be around for comments, see you.

- Klez

I manage to build but with different config. Yours was not working - kernel crash / panic (tested only briefly on Hummingboard i2ex). Small config is anyway not an option for me. I need to support all possible hw at once.

... but i bump into one bug very quickly. From no apparent reason one CPU core goes to 100% and stays there. :(

Anyway, it's a progress and amazingly audio is here, mSata is working, i got HDMI now, ... 

I made a new build for old kernel too:

http://www.igorpecovnik.com/2014/08/19/cubox-i-hummingboard-debian-sd-image/

v2.8 / 6.6.2015

Added iMx irqbalance service (Wheezy & Jessie)

Added kernel 4.x for testing, unstable

Added / fix binary repository for Wheezy and Trusty

Added 256Mb emergency swap

Ubuntu and jessie install errors fixed, removed busybox-syslogd and changed to default logger due to problems in Jessie and Ubuntu, apt-get upgrade fixed, console font fix, PGP signed archives, documentations update

Build script rework – image size shrink to actual size, possible to have fat boot partition on SD card, everything packed as DEB

apt-get upgrade ready but not enabled yet, serial console fixed, fixed hostapd under jessie, easy kernel switching, latest patched hostapd for best performance – normal and for realtek adaptors, auto IO scheduler script