Rockchip RK3566 maskrom pins

Hi all,

Firstly I want to state this this post in not about an Armbian device. I am posting here though, as it seems to be one of the most relevant places that I can find. Also, I want to commend the help and engagement that seems to be offered here, it reminds me of a good old fashion forum (clearly I have been spending far too much time on Reddit lately..) haha

Ok, so the situation is - I have an Android e-reader tablet that is powered by a RK3566 chipset. Upon tinkering I got it stuck in a bootloop, then in my efforts to "fix" it I deleted the userdata partition (via fastboot) and now the computer doesn't even detect the device at all. I now believe that the only hope I might have of recovering the device is to get it into maskrom mode and continue the recovery process there, as it has no externally accessible recovery partition (it only has 1 single power button, a USB C port and a micro SD card slot)

After spending hours researching / trying to determine the pins to bridge / comparing other similar boards and reading up on datasheets, I unfortunately now find myself completely stuck. 

(Also, I know that I am 100% at fault here for messing with something that I had very little understanding of. This is potentially going to be quite an expensive lesson for me - Or at the very least a very stressful one, haha)

If someone is able to have look at a few photos and point me in the right direction I would be incredibly grateful!!

Many thanks 

20240614_202744.jpg

20240614_202814.jpg

20240614_232130.jpg

Edited by MrTinker
Additional detail

12 hours ago, MrTinker said:

I now believe that the only hope I might have of recovering the device is to get it into maskrom mode and continue the recovery process there

Yes, this is the way, and it's Just another day in this forum.
how about linux dualboot in this tablet?

image.png.93f4ed5cd4a8cb47dfedc727c9241176.png

Check if one of this round cooper pads are GND with an multimeter
and chech if one of this round cooper pads are CLK with an osciloscope

if it is,
1- short it and connect USB,
2- release short 
3- flash
4- develop a kernel Device tree for it
5- post here

Edited by Hqnicolas

19 hours ago, Hqnicolas said:

how about linux dualboot in this tablet?

I would love to. I just want to get it working in any regard, as at the moment it serves as nothing but a very expensive drink coaster.. haha
Apparently this board has the option to boot from SD card, and I have attempted to boot both Linux and Android variants (for this chipset, but not specific device) from the card without any luck.. I feel that maybe the device isn't defaulting to the boot from SD option though, as it is still seeing some type of software back-end.

Do you happen to have any suggestions?

Check if one of this round cooper pads are GND with an multimeter
and chech if one of this round cooper pads are CLK with an oscilloscope

Unfortunately at the moment I do not have access to an oscilloscope, but I will try to get a hold of one later in the week

4- develop a kernel Device tree for it

I have absolutely no idea how to do this, but I'm more than willing to try (and will certainly share it)

I appreciate your response and guidance thanks @Hqnicolas

17 hours ago, MaxT said:

Just curious- what make/model is this reader?

Supernote Nomad (A6X2)

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Hqnicolas said:

Please change the Topic name to add Supernote Nomad (A6X2)

I do not seem to have the option to do this (Maybe a permission / new account restriction?)

I have attempted both on mobile and desktop

Edited by MrTinker

I have never flashed rockchip before, but have the appropriate software (+ drivers) for it, + done plenty of research 

I have a few different firmware sets, but the copy I have specifically for this device is uncompiled (separate boot.img etc. files) 

My concern is whether I accidentally deleted the userdata partition, as the firmware set I have doesn't include a .img for it. However, I will accessing a secondary device in the coming weeks (which I plan to extract / backup everything I need from) 

I am 100% open to any advice and assistance you might offer though, I'm grateful for any help that I can get!