RK3318 cant boot after update

Installing Armbian_community_24.8.0-trunk.314_Rk3318-box_bookworm_current_6.6.36_minimal.img.xz from the github works fine.

Doing apt upgrade renders system unbootable.

Begin: Waiting for root file system ... Begin: Running /scripts/local-block ... done.
Begin: Running /scripts/local-block ... done.

Pls fix :love:

Armbian & Khadas are rewarding contributors

Note that Armbian doesn't support TV boxes.  That.means all Armbian does is provide automated builds with no testing which are created weekly.  These boxes are 'Community Maintained' which means support is up to members of the community i.e users like you.

So have you tried a current build?  Instead of an update from an older build?

There is a thread in this forum for this type of box that you should review and likely post questions there.

Posted (edited)
7 часов назад, SteeMan сказал:

So have you tried a current build?  Instead of an update from an older build?

This is a current build. I also tried Armbian_community_24.8.0-trunk.314_Rk3318-box_noble_current_6.6.36_gnome_desktop.img.xz - ubuntu-based one and it acts exactly the same. The system breaks after updating linux-image-current-rockchip64 package

Edited by tERBO

Hmmm, so after a simple apt update && apt upgrade the system does not boot anymore?

Is your system installed in emmc or sdcard?

Could you please tell what board you have and the content of /boot/armbianEnv.txt?

13 часов назад, jock сказал:

Hmmm, so after a simple apt update && apt upgrade the system does not boot anymore?

Correct. After the update the system cant see emmc anymore and refuse to boot.

Is your system installed in emmc or sdcard?

Emmc

Could you please tell what board you have and the content of /boot/armbianEnv.txt?

verbosity=1
bootlogo=false
console=both
overlay_prefix=rockchip
fdtfile=rockchip/rk3318-box.dtb
rootdev=UUID=58276691-7264-424f-9624-0279e1a3f1db
rootfstype=ext4
overlays=rk3318-box-cpu-hs rk3318-box-emmc-hs200 rk3318-box-led-conf1 rk3318-box-wlan-ap6334
extraargs=systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=0
usbstoragequirks=0x2537:0x1066:u,0x2537:0x1068:u

It's a green PCB from 2019. 4/64 memory.

37 minutes ago, tERBO said:

It's a green PCB from 2019. 4/64 memory.

Does not help.

Anyway I just did the upgrade on a system of mine and it rebooted fine. Same kernel.

You may try to boot armbian from sdcard to debug the issue or wait for some time until the initramfs shell appears.

Consider that these tvboxes have defective emmc chips which may break easily, if the upgrade was consistent it may have failed.

1 час назад, jock сказал:

Consider that these tvboxes have defective emmc chips which may break easily, if the upgrade was consistent it may have failed.

I don't think it is defective. I have verified many times - installing an image from multitool = works. Doing apt upgrade, linux-image-current-rockchip64 package specifically breaks the system. The shell appears after a few seconds indeed and I can't see any /dev/mmcblkxxx devices so no wonder it doesn't boot.

I'm not really familiar with these systems so I'm not sure how to debug the issue. For now I just put linux-image-current-rockchip64 package on hold. But I think it should be fairly easy for someone who know how it works to look at the changes made in said package between trunk 314 and 322 to determine what could affect emmc drivers or what not...

5 hours ago, tERBO said:

I don't think it is defective. I have verified many times - installing an image from multitool = works. Doing apt upgrade, linux-image-current-rockchip64 package specifically breaks the system. The shell appears after a few seconds indeed and I can't see any /dev/mmcblkxxx devices so no wonder it doesn't boot.

Well, that's curious at best, dmesg surely will tell about the mmc controllers and why they are gone.

For sure they are not loaded as kernel modules but indeed they are built-in the kernel, so they should still be there.

I will try with a build from trunk 314 as you suggested and then upgrade to see what happens of my board, but I'm puzzled because the kernel is always version 6.6.36.

You may want to try removing the device tree overlays from /boot/armbianEnv.txt, perhaps something is off with them

The same problem when building the image yourself using compile.sh and installing from it.

I made images today with default kernel settings:
Armbian-unofficial_24.8.0-trunk_Rk3318-box_bookworm_current_6.6.38_xfce_desktop.img
Armbian-unofficial_24.8.0-trunk_Rk3318-box_bookworm_edge_6.9.8_minimal.img
Both of them show this problem.

3 hours ago, tERBO said:

There are some visible error messages but they all means nothing to me.

there's a mmc_select_hs200 failed, error -110 line in the dmesg log. You have to remove rk3318-box-emmc-hs200 overlay from the armbianEnv.txt, that is probably causing the problem.

5 часов назад, jock сказал:

You have to remove rk3318-box-emmc-hs200 overlay from the armbianEnv.txt, that is probably causing the problem.

Well, I just did that - the two hs200-related error lines went away but everything else is the same and it still cant init MMC card.

IMG_20240711_060035.thumb.jpg.f896c778d62b0372b73f4d361a859892.jpg

9 часов назад, jock сказал:

You have to remove rk3318-box-emmc-hs200 overlay from the armbianEnv.txt, that is probably causing the problem.

I have the same problem(-error -110) with a clean install.
I booted from SD card, there is no overlay section in the /boot/armbianEnv.txt file on eMMC 

Uhm... I'm just wondering and looking at the dmesg provided by @tERBO: the kernel is the same 6.6.36; maybe it is related to uboot - recently it has been upgraded to v2024.07 from previous v2024.01 - that is doing something with the eMMC (mmc2 in dmesg) and leaves the chip in a bad state. the sdcard (mmc0) and sdio (mmc1) instead are pretty fine and does not seem to suffer any issue.

I need some time to guess that out :/

5 минут назад, jock сказал:

maybe it is related to uboot

Uboot package is getting upgraded (along with dtb and some others) too from trunk 314 but it does not break the system. I did upgraded all the packages one by one manually and the only one that breaks the system is linux-image-current-rockchip64

Anyways if you can't reproduce the issue and want me to do more tests on my board - let me know.

@tERBO ok thanks, that's an useful information! So it is not uboot but the kernel itself that breaks something.

I checked the armbian commits in the rockchip64-6.6 patch archive and nothing relevant changed lately, but I see from the dmesg you posted that the working kernel is 6.6.36, instead the broken one is 6.6.38

There are some changes in the mmc subsystem for kernel 6.6.37, I wonder if something there may have broken the thing https://cdn.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v6.x/ChangeLog-6.6.37

Ah, yeah, there is something hs200 related, voltages speeds and stuff. But it's for rk3308 which is the same deal as 3318 but with no GPU - should be compatible... in theory...

@tERBO

Here it is, kernel 6.6.38 and emmc broke on my system too:

image.png.d3d88258855455bb797c2852378e077f.png

I will try to revert some patches mainlined patches in the next days to see if it fixes something. The rk3308 should be quite different than rk3318/rk3328 and the commit was limited to rk3308-rock-pi-s, so I don't think that's the issue.

@raven123 你能把它发到我的邮箱吗?谢谢!

alucnvips@gmail.com

Alternatively, you can share it on GitHub. Thank you!

Edited by Alucn

@raven123 yes, I moved rockchip64 edge kernel to 6.10 and brought in the patch to fix the gpio2 bank that was causing the whole eMMC issue.

BTW, packages should be available in the near future when the armbian server will rebuild the things (hopefully, next sunday)

I’m encountering the same issue but on an RK3328 (also on eMMC). After an update last week, my system no longer boots.

The error messages I’m getting seem similar to those mentioned here for the RK3318, so I think the issue might be the same.

From what I understand, a kernel update seems to resolve the problem.

However, I’m currently blocked at initramfs. Is there a method to boot into an older kernel, or should I consider a complete re-installation?

Thanks!

4 часа назад, ben51 сказал:

Is there a method to boot into an older kernel, or should I consider a complete re-installation?

Boot from SD card -> chroot in to emmc partition -> install known working kernel. Detailed instructions are in 3318 main thread.