X96 Max+ can't get it to boot with native Armbian

WayneGibbous

I was unable to get Armbian_community_24.11.0-trunk.66_Aml-s9xx-box_bookworm_current_6.6.47_minimal to boot on my TV-Box (X96Max+ 100 vA 4GBRAM). I tried using the meson-sm1-x96-air.dtb because this is the model I use for Coreelec. This did not boot at all, the system just boots to Android (Slimbox).

I also tried this image “Devmfc_Debian-Bookworm_6.6.49-meson64_Minimal-24.09.05.img” from this project: https://github.com/devmfc/debian-on-amlogic     This image at least tried to boot.  I got a blue screen and a stuck boot loop.

Back to Armbian, I tried copying the Devmfc file “meson-sm1-x96aira100.dtb” from the into the Armbian boot folder and configured “extlinux/extlinux.conf “ to look for the correct dtb. I renamed “u-boot-s905x3” to “u-boot.ext”. This did not boot, either.

I copied the contents of the entire boot folder from devmfc Debian Bookworm (v12) with Linux kernel 6.6.49 to the boot folder of Armbian Linux v6.6, overwriting "aml_autoscript", "emmc_autoscript", and "s905_autoscript". I edited “boot.config” to use “box=x96aira100” and set the variable “rd_img=uInitrd”. This boots into Armbian successfully enough that I get a command prompt on the HDMI monitor, and I get an IP address on the Ethernet port. After logging in by ssh and creating an Arbian account, I did uname to check the kernel version: “root@aml-s9xx-box:~# uname -a

Linux aml-s9xx-box 6.6.49-meson64 #19 SMP PREEMPT Thu Sep 5 00:58:55 CEST 2024 aarch64 GNU/Linux”

Of course I can’t update anything without breaking the system, and this kernel is lacking a lot of features I would like to use on a desktop system.  I could use some help trying to figure out a good way to get Armbian going on here.  I have the buildroot set up, and can compile my own image, but I'm not very familiar with how to patch it or to build a  different dtb.

Armbian & Khadas are rewarding contributors

https://forum.armbian.com/topic/16976-status-of-armbian-on-tv-boxes-please-read-first

Note the comments in the above link that these boxes are not suitable for use as a desktop replacement.

https://forum.armbian.com/topic/33676-installation-instructions-for-tv-boxes-with-amlogic-cpus

Note the comment in the install instructions that if you have installed any other build, you will not be able to use the armbian builds without an android firmware restore.