RTL8188EU usb dongle creates two interfaces.

Martin Essink

I am running the newest version of armbian (5.30) on my Orange PI One, but I run into a strange issue.

Whenever I connect an usb dongle (RTL8188EU), it is recognised and works, but two NICs are shown in the network manager. Also ifconfig shows interfaces, where the lsusb shows only one device. Also strange is that one is shown as wlan1, but the other as wlx<macaddress>.

Does anyone know what might be causing this issue?

Providing 'armbianmonitor -u' output would help getting a clue what's going on on your board. Then you could check 'lsmod' output and do a 'modinfo rl8xxx' (the module in question serving your dongle) about capabilities. Those RealTek drivers allow for a ton of options and usually you can mask/rename the 2nd interface in such a way: https://github.com/ayufan-pine64/linux-build/blob/master/package/root/etc/modprobe.d/wifi-rt8723-pine64.conf

On 9/10/2017 at 3:43 PM, Martin Essink said:

A simple line in a modprobe.d config file did the trick,

options 8188eu if2name=p2p0 rtw_power_mgnt=0

Thanks for the help!

Dear Martin:

I am having the same issue as you, and I would like to try your solution. Could you please indicate me which modprobe.d file you modified?

Best Regards,

On 12/5/2017 at 5:11 PM, rimen05 said:

Dear Martin:

I am having the same issue as you, and I would like to try your solution. Could you please indicate me which modprobe.d file you modified?

Best Regards,

Late reply, but it is,

/etc/modprobe.d/8188eu.conf