Piv Klit

NFS Boot from SPI

Looking in the forums for a few days and reading up on a lot of stuff, I got the zero to boot from spi and USB, fairly easy once you got the right commands, and replacing "linux-u-boot-next-orangepipc2_5.34_arm64" with the version on the image for the board. 

The procedure didn't really change, you need to activate the spi-jedec-nor overlay in /boot/armbianEnv.txt :

overlays=spi-jedec-nor

param_spinor_spi_bus=0

Then, after reboot, you should get from "cat /proc/mtd", something like that :
dev: size erasesize name

mtd0: 00200000 00001000 "spi0.0"
Then

cat /usr/lib/linux-u-boot-next-orangepipc2_5.34_arm64/sunxi-spl.bin /usr/lib/linux-u-boot-next-orangepipc2_5.34_arm64/u-boot.itb > /usr/lib/linux-u-boot-next-orangepipc2_5.34_arm64/u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin

and flash with

flashcp /usr/lib/linux-u-boot-next-orangepipc2_5.34_arm64/u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin /dev/mtd0

The I tried NFS shares and that worked fine to, but now I want to boot directly from another server, providing different folders for each board that I have and use spi for the boot. 
The reading the forum again to find out more about NFS booting, and mostly found this "hurray I got it to work" then kind of leaving the rest of us hanging there thinking HOW??? :D

I was then reading about uboot and found out that it have ethernet enabled, so guess it´s prepared for this kind of booting.
So I need to change something in uboot so it will know what ip and folder to look after, since I'm looking into booting different boards?

Oh and heres a picture of my crazy project. 

24991386_515020648885013_8887273542297869213_n.jpg.f98464199a73da4824803157cb6b5528.jpg

Nearly a year later, and other people asking me in my inbox if I got it to work. 

No I didn't, I'm still on SPI + USB, but if anybody got it to work, please post it here so me and others can get this to work :)

## set this to NFS root path (ip:path)
## or else provide dhcp option 17 (root-path)

#setenv nfs_root

# for DHCP
setenv net_setup "ip=dhcp"

# for static configuration see documentation
# https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/Documentation/filesystems/nfs/nfsroot.txt
# setenv net_setup "ip=<client-ip>:<server-ip>:<gw-ip>:<netmask>:<hostname>:<device>:<autoconf>:<dns0-ip>:<dns1-ip>"

# you may need to add extra kernel arguments specific to your device
setenv bootargs "console=tty1 console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/nfs ${net_setup} rw rootflags=noatime,nodiratime disp.screen0_output_mode=1920x1080p60 panic=10 consoleblank=0 enforcing=0 logle

if test -n ${nfs_root}; then
     setenv bootargs "${bootargs} nfsroot=${nfs_root}"
fi

tftp ${kernel_addr_r} ${serverip}:vmlinuz-4.14.91-sunxi
tftp ${ramdisk_addr_r} ${serverip}:uInitrd-4.14.91-sunxi
tftp ${fdt_addr_r} ${serverip}:sun8i-h2-plus-orangepi-zero.dtb
bootz ${kernel_addr_r} ${ramdisk_addr_r} ${fdt_addr_r}

save and do mkimage -C none -A arm -T script -d boot.cmd boot.scr.uimg

copy boot.scr.uimg, vmlinuz,uInitrd, *.dtb to tftp folder and boot.

Working for me

For building nfs image and vmlinuz,uInitrd, *.dtb 

On ubuntu 18.04 

apt -y install git

git clone https://github.com/armbian/build

cd build

./compile.sh ROOTFS_TYPE=nfs

wait.....................................................................DONE

cd output/images

ls

.....nfsboot-rootfs.tgz

.....nfsboot.img

.....nfsboot-rootfs.tgz tar -xzf to nfs export dir

fdisk -l .....nfsboot.img

........Orangepizero_Ubuntu_bionic_next_......._nfsboot.img1               8192 131071  122880    60M            83 Linux

8192 * 512 = 4194304

mount -o loop,offset=4194304  .....nfsboot.img /mnt

copy vmlinuz,uInitrd, and dtb  for you platform to tftp dir