Lamobo R1 - ARMBian 5.0 Jessie Server - Network expert please help

miguipda

Hi,

to resume the problem I encounter please let me introduce the network I use.

1) a main modem/router called BBox2 which is a Sagem F@st 3464 connected in LAN-WAN to a

2) a secondary router called Lamobo R1 (also named Banana Pi R1 = BPi R1)

3) a laptop connected to the BPi-R1

4) I think to connect IP camera to the BBox2 then need to stay in the same network range (so I presume I need to change the conneciton used in 1) from LAN-WAN to LAN-LAN isn't it ?)

Here is the connections and IP Addresses :

BBox2 is connected in LAN-WAN to the BPi-R1

ISP  ->  BBox2 (LAN)  -> (WAN) BPi-R1 (LAN)  -> (LAN) Laptop

192.168.1.1 (DHCP->)  192.168.1.2  ..............  192.168.1.3 (manually set because BPi-R1 did give a dynamic IP)

All HW use the subnet mask 255.255.255.0

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BBox2 gave an IP to the BPi-R1 because it has DHCP activated.

BPi-R1 did not gave a dynamic IP to the laptop then

Laptop got a manual static IP address

Laptop can ping BPi-R1 at 192.168.1.2 but can not pint the BBox2 at 192.168.1.1 even if it has the IP 192.168.1.1

BPi-R1 can ping both BBox2 and Laptop

It seems then that the laptop can not passthrough the BPi-R1.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions :

1) by considering the fact I will need to connect the IP camera connected to the BBox2 (at 192.168.1.1) thanks to confirm I will need to use LAN-LAN connection in place of LAN-WAN connection between the BBox2 and BPi-R1

2) how could I set the BPi-R1 to tell it it must give a dynamic IP address (coming from it or coming from BBox2) ?

3) how to be sure it will passthrough the BPi-R1 to go through BBox2 to internet ?

Sincerely thanks and have a nice day.

Miguipda ;-)

Sorry, I won't read lengthy posts that contain already the most problematic part in the title (Lamobo R1). If you want to rely on this crappy piece of hardware and if the R1 should act as a bridge between LAN and WLAN then I would recommend configuring the whole thing just like that. And that means configuring a bridge when the device should be used as bridge!

I don't get it why everyone always wants to deal with TCP/IP packets on layer 3 to solve problems that do not exist when you do it correctly at layer 2 (bridging not routing and not dealing with TCP/IP packets but 802.11 frames instead)

BTW: Unless you do not want to get a bit familiar with networking this won't be solvable. You refer to 'passthrough' which could be either routing (TCP/IP, layer 3) or bridging (layer 2). I would recommend googling for 'debian bridge ebtables' to set up the stuff at layer 2 instead of enabling routing capabilities on the R1 (since then you would have to learn concepts like netmasks and so on)

Thomas is correct.

You have configured your Lamobo-R1 as a router. If you go this way then you have to:

1. Run DHCP/DNS server (eg. dnsmasq) on the Lamobo-R1 to provide a network for the routed network (laptop side)
  2. Configure routing on the Lamobo-R1 (not NAT!) so that packets traverse to/from the 192.168.1.0/24 network (BBox2 side) and the routed network (laptop side)

Simpler solution, which is from Thomas - configure the Lamobo-R1 as a bridge. Then DHCP assignment and DNS service will be provided by the Bbox2. If you do this, you don't need ebtables - unless you want to control access to the bridge.

As other say, you have to get familiarized a bit with networking. The R1 is not easy for novices, as it introduces several concepts and problems at once. This is my /etc/network/interfaces file, if it helps a bit....

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback

# |2|1|0|4| |3|

# INTERNET interface

auto eth0.101

iface eth0.101 inet manual

pre-up swconfig dev eth0 set reset 1

pre-up swconfig dev eth0 set enable_vlan 1

pre-up swconfig dev eth0 vlan 101 set ports '3 8t'

pre-up swconfig dev eth0 set apply 1

pre-up /sbin/dhclient -4 -v -pf /run/dhclient.eth0.101.pid -lf /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient.eth0.101.leases eth0.101

bridge_stp off

auto eth0.102

iface eth0.102 inet manual

pre-up swconfig dev eth0 vlan 102 set ports '0 1 4 8t'

bridge_stp off

auto eth0.103

iface eth0.103 inet static

address 192.168.2.1

netmask 255.255.255.0

pre-up swconfig dev eth0 vlan 103 set ports '2 8t'