pcduino3b/nano module iscsi_trgt fail

Hello,

I'm using the armbian trusty image with legacy kernel and try to setup an iscsi target server with it.

Actually I tried to build my own kernel with the instruction list and the tools of armbian and activated the iscsi target in the kernel configure.

In compile.sh I set kernel configure to yes and then I start compiling.

Maybe you can tell me how to do it in the right way?

Thanks and greetings

Cool - I will be very happy if you include it in the next release.

No there is no error message while compiling or booting.

The default Kernel and the own compiled Kernel run without any problems

May be I have to edit this file lib/config/linux-sunxi7-default.config

and add something like CONFIG_ISCSI_TRGT=m ???

Thanks for your fast reply ;)

Hey thanks for this fast reaction.

Seem to me, that there are some errors in the headers file of the Kernel.

When you install the iscsitarget and iscsitarget-dkms you get the errors wihch are contained in the make.txt

I'm very sorry that I can't fix the fault by my self and would like to donate your work.

Can I donate you over this arbian project or do you have another account for that?

Thanks very much

make.txt

Hm. What are you trying to compile and why? Now iSCSI target modules should be present in kernel compiled with Armbian build script.

Please read documentation about compiling kernel by yourself... or you can try installing this precompiled kernel (please make backups before): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vicmqsbqnj9tkio/AACrOdK_Vu3dHAQIqiNYIkW-a?dl=0

I'm very sorry that I can't fix the fault by my self and would like to donate your work.

Can I donate you over this arbian project or do you have another account for that?

If you want to donate/contribute, just use link on armbian.com

Hm - with your precompiled and my self compiled kernel still the same error.

I tried now with fresh trusty and deb jessie.

I installed the packages with dpkg -i linux-*  - thats correct right?

Reboot the system and still get the error

Why I was using the dkms package - was just because I still getting the error "module iscsi_trgt not found" and tried to compile the kernel with that again.

By compiling my own kernel I caught an error with the new DVBT Card, so I excluded that driver - because I don't need it.

Please tell me what I did wrong?

modprobe iscsi_target_mod is sucessfull - I can see the module when I use lsmod, but the iscsitarget cannot start because of the before mentioned error.

Which iscsi server do you use, maybe they use different modules

iscsi_target_mod is controlled by "targetcli" utility from package with the same name.

iscsitarget-dkms requires full kernel source tree for building (if I understand it correctly), which is not provided in Armbian images ATM.

Edit:

I checked compilation myself, looks like iscsitarget-dkms sources in trusty aren't compatible with this kernel version.

I installed and tested targetcli

Now I get these errors when I run the targetcli and try to create an iblock device:

Unable to load target_core_iblock
Unable to load target_core_file
Unable to load target_core_pscsi
Unable to load target_core_stgt

Hey,

thank you very much - now it's working ;)

the mount configfs is nesesary for trusty too.

Ok the throughput is just 20 MB/s with the onboard sata controller - I will further test that.

Donation ist coming

the mount configfs is nesesary for trusty too.

Then you can add a line in /etc/fstab

configfs /sys/kernel/config configfs defaults 1 1

(from targetcli documentation)

Ok the throughput is just 20 MB/s with the onboard sata controller - I will further test that.

Raw CPU power is probably the main bottleneck, though you may want to check "top" output, especially 3rd line with CPU load details, and "htop" output to check if both CPU cores are loaded or only one.

Edit: I'm assuming that by "throughput" you mean sequential read/write speed.