Orange PI PC operating temperature

hoddi

Hi all,

I was just wondering if you had experience with the performance on the H3 allwinner CPU performance based on the cpu temperature ? I'm trying to tweak my fan to only cool down the CPU once it gets close to peak cpu temperature levels, before performance starts to degrade.

According to the Allwinner H3 datasheet the maximum ambient operating temperature is 70° (see page 612)

http://dl.linux-sunxi.org/H3/Allwinner_H3_Datasheet_V1.0.pdf

Do you think I can let the cpu go up to 70 before cooling it down or should I start sooner (i.e 65° / 67°) to keep my pi at top performance ?

Do you think I can let the cpu go up to 70 before cooling it down or should I start sooner (i.e 65° / 67°) to keep my pi at top performance ?

You seem to confuse ambient temperature (H3 is specified to be operated in environments that are as hot as 70°C) with internal temperature (look for 125°C in the datasheet). I would suggest the following:

• Install RPi-Monitor (sudo armbianmonitor -r)
  • Read through this issue to get some understanding of the relationships between temperature, throttling and performance
  • Watch the graphs, maybe play a bit around with THS settings
  • Eventually stay with Armbian's defaults (we wasted days already trying to develop best suited thermal settings possible -- no need to further waste time with this stuff unless you have special needs)

Awesome, thanks :)

Yeah I totally confused the ambient with the internal temperature... my bad.

I'm not actually going to mess with any of Armbian's defaults, the only thing I'm trying to balance is when my little 5v fan starts spinning in my 3D printed case :) I have a daemon monitoring the cpu internal temperature that controls when the fan starts (and making noise in my living room).

Am I understanding the the issue you linked correctly that the first core is shut down at 75° ?

Am I understanding the the issue you linked correctly that the first core is shut down at 75° ?

Nope :)

If you really want to fiddle around with thermal settings then some understanding is needed, so either take an hour and read through the Github issue or simply leave everything as it is (no fan needed, throttling already prevents overheating and Armbian uses somewhat conservative settings given that H3 is able to operate at up to 125°C according to datasheet).

The following only applies to Armbian (and Jernej's OpenELEC with which we share most if not all settings). The only use case for a fan is if you want to constantly operate your board under full load and fear high temperatures for whatever reasons. Orange Pi PC shows already pretty good heat dissipation away from the SoC through copper layers inside the PCB so if you add a cheap heatsink you already have a performance setup (most people never need). And if you want to run your board constantly on the upper limit (clockspeed) then either add an annoying fan or allow higher temperatures in fex file (ths_para --> increase the trip points). Or live with slight throttling :)

Does exposing the 8888 port used by rpi-monitor represent a security risk?

My OPi-PC runs 24/7 on a chess server, and I thought it would be interesting to allow people to inspect the RPI-Monitor pages.  So I exposed/forwarded port 8888 on that device.  I'm wondering if that's got potential security risks.  It hasn't happened in a few years, but once I was accused of lying about my hardware specs.  That's another motivation for allowing such access-- to demonstrate the reality of the situation to those concerned.  I've become somewhat of a trustworthy figure in the years I've been running an engine online, so I doubt any accusations would go too far without any merit these days, but it is nice to be able to point to actual data that shows the truth.

Does exposing the 8888 port used by rpi-monitor represent a security risk?

Maybe :)

Xavier already separated the data collection process (running as root) and the web interface (running as 'normal user', AFAIK it's the first available non-root account on your system) but since it's code it might contain vulnerabilities. In this article it's explained to implement a reverse proxy in front of RPi-Monitor to add authentication (and https which isn't that interesting in the context): http://rpi-experiences.blogspot.de/2013/05/rpi-monitor-security-and-authentication.html

You can check which account rpimonitord is using either of these commands:

ps auxww | grep rpimonitord
sudo lsof -i | grep 8888

And then by doing the usual Linux stuff taking away any unneeded privileges to restrict the consequences of a possible exploit to the minimum.

armbianmonitor -m shows that my Orange PC temperature at idle was about 35 C when the board was open with ambient temperature of 20C.

Then I added an heatsing with 3M strip attached that bought for another board but that perfectly fit on H3.

Finally I put the board into the original clear case.
Now armbianmonitor -m show temperature at idle around 47-50 C, so almost 30 degree over ambient, and about 15 degree more that when running open, without case and heatsing.

Is normal this value inside that case ? I have to worry about it ?

Take into account that the final destination will be into a container that in summer could reach 40-45 C. I should expect throttling in summer or worse ?

First I would take the board out of the enclosure and measure idle temperature again. Just to get a clue what's the culprit.

I managed to glue a heatsink a few weeks ago to a H3 so badly that temperatures were slightly higher afterwards (obviously not enough thermal glue and air now acting as insulator :) ). And then I really doubt that it's a good idea to expose any tiny enclosure/container to direct sunlight in summer. I would check temperature specs of the SD card used first (H3 will most probably be fine but consumer SD cards are often just rated up to 75C).

The origin of overtemperature was a big router were the board was sitting :rolleyes: : it was heating the case and then the board. Now, in the proper place, the board closed into its plastic case with heatisink, everything enclosed into IP65 abs case run nice at 35-37 C, so just 15 degree over-ambient.

In the summer it will be not exposed to direct sunlight, it will be in a ventilated container with other elettronic equipments... so I hope not more than 40 degree of ambient temperature :). I'll monitor and I'll tell you how it will work