IMX6/HB, Kernel 3.14.60

fanste

Question

Hey,

which kernel did you use for the provided Hummingboard image (wheezy)? Is it a self-patched linux-linaro or the latest from solidrun (linux-fslc)?

My test tells me, that it is the one from solidrun as I'm not able to use PCI on my HB pro. I've recognized it using the current devel of OpenELEC which also uses kernel 3.14.60 from solidrun. An older version of OpenELEC (e.g. 6.0.3) or Armbian (eg. 4.4 using 3.14.53) works quite good.

The PCI driver and the dts changed quite a lot between those kernel repositories. Do you have any suggestions how to fix that? My tries all ended in a boot hang (black screen).

7 answers to this question

We are using stock 3.14.14 (previously official kernel) upgraded to latest with series of patches. This kernel works well, PCI must work, generally is better than linux-fslc but it lack direct support for Hummingboard v2 series (gate and edge). This latest can be hacked to some degree.

I tried this (current official) FSCL kernel, but it looks like there is a need for some work and I also don't (yet) have the hardware (v2) to test. I really can't give you any direction or hints how to go with FSCL kernel.

If your official HB build is really based on linux-linaro than there must be some changes from 3.14.53 to 3.14.60 which affects PCI in a bad manner. But I can't find any changes in the patch files that are related to PCI or DTS.

The board is able to boot with *60 as long as I don't have any PCI card (e.g. Intel WIFI) in the slot. With a card in the slot it hangs on "waiting for /dev to complete" (I don't know the exact phrase).

I hoped that only the FSCL kernel is affected but currently it seems like both kernels have that problem.

EDIT: I just found and Issue opened by you, that exactly matches my error using your official HB build (and dev from OpenELEC).

Those kernels are very different I would say, even they are both 3.14.

On old kernel everything works for me ... I am using one mPci wireless card and mSata drive. No problems - hardware is HB v1.0 i2ex, while by using FSCL kernel I got stuck. I was told that some cards works while others don't. Can't argue with that since I only tried two different mPCI cards and both worked. One is Intel 7260 and the other Atheros 9382.

I am about to get HB v2 once and then I'll get back to this kernel or perhaps rather directly to 4.5, where everything seems to work but HDMI. This is allegedly also possible to bring in ... .

Hi Igor,

If I may, it would be greatly appreciated if you could fix this PCI issue on 3.14.60 for HB v2 (I just got one - Edge i2eX), as this kernel supports i2c and the OV5640 camera module via MIPI-CSI (like the Wandcam). The "only" thing missing is the mini PCIe hanging. 

Unless it is easy to provide these functionalities (i2c and ov5640 MIPI-CSI), as well as GPIO, to kernel 4.4.x?

Thanks for your great work.

PS. Is there somewhere we can download your kernel based on 3.14.53?

Alexandre

I will try to migrate (maybe tomorrow) the PCI driver from 4.4.x to 3.14.60 (fslc). I've confirmed that PCI is working on that kernel.

PCI seems to be broken since a lot of version in fslc, according to threads from the web.

PS. Is there somewhere we can download your kernel based on 3.14.53?

Both kernels are in repository apt.armbian.com

linux-image-cubox = stock 3.14.xx

linux-image-dev-cubox = fscl 3.14.xx