CSC Armbian for RK322X TV Boxes


Recommended Posts

Armbian is a community driven open source project. Do you like to contribute your code?

On 6/7/2020 at 2:05 AM, jock said:

Update!

 

All images have been updated to latest Armbian 20.08 with latest updates.

Mainline kernel bumped to 5.6.16, chrony package is now fixed.

Multitool also has been updated.

 

Enjoy!

Seems my previous post about this vanished... Question is, is there a way to update a current installation om EMMC to the latest Armbian without reinstalling and losing all content?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Reddwarf said:

Seems my previous post about this vanished... Question is, is there a way to update a current installation om EMMC to the latest Armbian without reinstalling and losing all content?

Currently you can keep up-to-date the distribution packages via regular apt-get update && apt-get upgrade but not the kernel, u-boot and loader.

When I will merge the fork into mainline armbian (which will happen very soon), you will get also kernel and loaders updates!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2020 at 4:25 PM, jock said:

Currently you can keep up-to-date the distribution packages via regular apt-get update && apt-get upgrade but not the kernel, u-boot and loader.

When I will merge the fork into mainline armbian (which will happen very soon), you will get also kernel and loaders updates!

 

Thanks! Looking forward to that :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys, great and awesome work! I hope video acceleration will work soon. I just updated my V88 Mini with working wifi, NAND installation but it hung during upgrade. After new replug and plug again the device worked again and no more upgrades. Unfortunately the reboot still isn't working... 

 

@jock Have you found a fix for the reboot problem? 

 

The upgrade wasn't enough to fix it. 

 

Update: Since the upgrade the wifi performance went drastically down! Before I got around 30 Mbit/s through Iperf3 measurements and now it went down to 0,5 Mbit/s - 1 Mbit/s.

 

I don't know what happened with the driver seems to be a problem now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, magnopaz said:

 Thanks for the hard work, man! I'm using the prebuilt Debian Buster Legacy on a Mxq Pro 4k (rk3228a) and everything works fine, except wifi but I'm using a usb doodle anyway.

Glad to hear. It is interesting to know what kind of wifi chip you have, rk322x-config script will tell you the name (if it is known) and the device id.

 

11 hours ago, Alex83 said:

Hey guys, great and awesome work! I hope video acceleration will work soon. I just updated my V88 Mini with working wifi, NAND installation but it hung during upgrade. After new replug and plug again the device worked again and no more upgrades. Unfortunately the reboot still isn't working... 

Upgrade done via apt-get or using another custom way?

Currenly no kernel upgrade happens via apt-get, so probably something changed in your neighbourhood. I never got 30Mbit/s with my boxes using and ssv6051 crappy wifi/driver.

Reboot problem with NAND is still there, won't be solved soon...

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, jock said:

Glad to hear. It is interesting to know what kind of wifi chip you have, rk322x-config script will tell you the name (if it is known) and the device id.

 

 

It's a SV6051P, the script get it right. It was working a few weeks ago but now I can't get it to work, even using old images or libreELEC, I think it's broken in some way. Well, it's no big deal, even when it was working it was very unstable.

 

Tv Box board

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, magnopaz said:

 

It's a SV6051P, the script get it right. It was working a few weeks ago but now I can't get it to work, even using old images or libreELEC, I think it's broken in some way. Well, it's no big deal, even when it was working it was very unstable.

 

Tv Box board

Indeed, no big deal at all. Old chip and old crappy driver, I could not do more than 10Mbit/s TX even if the box is close to the AP. The box I got here is picky about the interface: wlan0 always crashes the driver, I must use p2p0 to be able to use it.

I have a question for you: do your board has one or two leds? Are they working well with the devicetree/board profile you selected?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I need a hand from people who has a NAND board and could sacrifice the system on it for a test (you can either do a backup using multitool first ;))

I changed the way the device tree and rk322x-config works to be more effective, simpler and less prone to errors.

 

If you could download this test image (Debian minimal, console only), burn it on NAND, configure using rk322x-config, shutdown the board, unplug and replug power and confirm everything works ok, I would be really glad for any report. This will speed up moving to mainline armbian, which could really happen this week! Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2020 at 1:26 PM, jock said:

If you could download this test image (Debian minimal, console only), burn it on NAND, configure using rk322x-config, shutdown the board, unplug and replug power and confirm everything works ok, I would be really glad for any report. This will speed up moving to mainline armbian, which could really happen this week! Thanks!

Hi @jock, I gave this a go and unfortunately it failed and dropped to the busybox shell...

 

The drop https://pasteboard.co/JdvdOY2.jpg

Tried fsck https://pasteboard.co/JdvegbK.jpg

 

Steps I took:

1) Used a know good multitool sd card (used it today to install the legacy image as well)

2) Simply booted and installed the image linked above via StepNAND

 

Let me know if anything else you would like to test...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ztrawberry said:

Hi @jock, I gave this a go and unfortunately it failed and dropped to the busybox shell...

 

The drop https://pasteboard.co/JdvdOY2.jpg

Tried fsck https://pasteboard.co/JdvegbK.jpg

 

Steps I took:

1) Used a know good multitool sd card (used it today to install the legacy image as well)

2) Simply booted and installed the image linked above via StepNAND

 

Let me know if anything else you would like to test...

Uhm, sounds very strange, the "inconsistency" is right to be there, that's just because the image is smaller than the whole NAND and later armbian will resize the partition to the full size, but other than that the filesystem should be clean.

 

I suspect something went wrong during the burn process, but this is puzzling as long as you reinstalled the legacy image correctly.

 

I will double check the image and maybe ask you to do another test if you don't bother ;)

Thanks in the meantime!

 

edit: the image seems ok, could you please download a fresh copy of the multitool and try again? You can also try the Armbian Ubuntu Focal Minimal 4.4 on first page image in alternative, but a newer copy of the multitool is essential because I changed the step-nand process to bring an overlay-capable u-boot.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Odd, I have a MXQ 4k pro v2.0 box (2G/16G) with rk3228a (sticker on the back). None of the images on the first page boot off SD card,but

 LibreELEC-RK322x.arm-9.2-devel-20200427213119-b7186bc-rk3228a-mxq4kpro.img

boots alright. Original kernel in firmware (android) is 3.x. Remote pretty dead too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2020 at 6:16 AM, jock said:

Indeed, no big deal at all. Old chip and old crappy driver, I could not do more than 10Mbit/s TX even if the box is close to the AP. The box I got here is picky about the interface: wlan0 always crashes the driver, I must use p2p0 to be able to use it.

I have a question for you: do your board has one or two leds? Are they working well with the devicetree/board profile you selected?

 

It has two leds (blue and red) they work as expected using the profile "rk3228b-box-mxq-pro-4k" but this profile sets the CPU to 1400 MHz, so I need to limit the speed to 1200 MHz, since the processor is a rk3228a. Using the profile "rk3228a-box-mxq-4k" the cpu is configured for the right speed but the leds stop working as they should, the two are always on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, jock said:

Uhm, sounds very strange, the "inconsistency" is right to be there, that's just because the image is smaller than the whole NAND and later armbian will resize the partition to the full size, but other than that the filesystem should be clean.

 

I suspect something went wrong during the burn process, but this is puzzling as long as you reinstalled the legacy image correctly.

 

I will double check the image and maybe ask you to do another test if you don't bother ;)

Thanks in the meantime!

 

edit: the image seems ok, could you please download a fresh copy of the multitool and try again? You can also try the Armbian Ubuntu Focal Minimal 4.4 on first page image in alternative, but a newer copy of the multitool is essential because I changed the step-nand process to bring an overlay-capable u-boot.

 

I started from scratch and tried again on both Ubuntu and the Debian test images. Good news is that is worked. Only differences were I first erased flash, installed the bootloader and then the StepNAND image transfer. This may have made a difference since I had the Ubuntu desktop image installed previously or maybe not. Please note that I did not previously or today installed the original Android image first.

 

General observations:

* WiFi was not detected. I am not 100% sure, but I thought this worked in images from earlier this year when I selected the Generic option in rk322x-config 

* Only difference in rk322x-config on Ubuntu and Debian is the red-color of text in the tool between the two images

* I installed armbian-config but it hangs. I ensured apt update & upgrade was done prior to installation

* LED config:

led-conf1 (Chiptrip) blue light on
led-conf2 (R329q) light off

* I selected both the 3228A and 3228B options in rk322x-config. Did not seem to make any obvious difference except of course the clock speed

 

Notes: This is a Scishion V88 4K with 3228? chip... 1GB RAM, 8GB NAND... I think it has the SSV SV6051P chip (This did not work in the legacy Ubuntu desktop image I tried yesterday either)

 

Thanks again for the efforts and congrats on the progress. Let me know if anything else I can test...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2020 at 9:04 PM, xwiggen said:

Odd, I have a MXQ 4k pro v2.0 box (2G/16G) with rk3228a (sticker on the back). None of the images on the first page boot off SD card,but

 LibreELEC-RK322x.arm-9.2-devel-20200427213119-b7186bc-rk3228a-mxq4kpro.img

boots alright. Original kernel in firmware (android) is 3.x. Remote pretty dead too.

Please follow the instructions on first page, armbian images are not designed to boot from sdcard as-is.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2020 at 8:35 AM, Ztrawberry said:

I started from scratch and tried again on both Ubuntu and the Debian test images. Good news is that is worked. Only differences were I first erased flash, installed the bootloader and then the StepNAND image transfer. This may have made a difference since I had the Ubuntu desktop image installed previously or maybe not. Please note that I did not previously or today installed the original Android image first.

Well, NAND are strange beasts. I was talking some days ago with @fabiobassa and he has a box with NAND flash which is rebooting fine, while most of them don't.

 

On 6/18/2020 at 8:35 AM, Ztrawberry said:

WiFi was not detected. I am not 100% sure, but I thought this worked in images from earlier this year when I selected the Generic option in rk322x-config 

Device tree should not influence ssv6051 driver, which is so crappy it always loads even if there is no sign of it in the device tree. To handle that rk322x-config script blacklists/unblacklists the module if necessary.

You can still do modprobe ssv6051 and see what dmesg log says, but beware: crappy driver = crappy logging.

On 6/18/2020 at 8:35 AM, Ztrawberry said:

I installed armbian-config but it hangs. I ensured apt update & upgrade was done prior to installation

I don't handle that, but seems strange to me. It hangs just after running the script or during a specific operation?

 

On 6/18/2020 at 8:35 AM, Ztrawberry said:

led-conf1 (Chiptrip) blue light on

If doing echo timer > /sys/class/leds/auxiliary/trigger makes the red led blinking, then led-conf1 is the led wiring configuration for your box. Otherwise you have a different wiring that I have not yet encountered.

 

On 6/18/2020 at 8:35 AM, Ztrawberry said:

I selected both the 3228A and 3228B options in rk322x-config. Did not seem to make any obvious difference except of course the clock speed

It is just clock speed at the moment.

 

Thanks for the detailed report of what works and what not, I have submitted all the patches to mainline Armbian for review so I hope it will be merged soon!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2020 at 1:48 AM, magnopaz said:

 

It has two leds (blue and red) they work as expected using the profile "rk3228b-box-mxq-pro-4k" but this profile sets the CPU to 1400 MHz, so I need to limit the speed to 1200 MHz, since the processor is a rk3228a. Using the profile "rk3228a-box-mxq-4k" the cpu is configured for the right speed but the leds stop working as they should, the two are always on.

We realized that product names and board signatures are totally unreliable for hardware mapping, so I moved to device tree overlays.

All hardware combinations are covered simply by a bunch of device tree overlays. rk322x-config script has been adapted accordingly so, from now on, it should be simpler and much less error prone!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Commercial names of those board = giving number on the lottery !!

A little , but little better approach is name ON THE PHYSICAL board or (the best approach indeed ) is trying to get those basic infos:
1) nand or emmc  ( multitool will reveal it) 
2) 3228 ( a/b doesn't really matter at this point since the difference is a bunch of MHZ speed but less than 10% )  or 3229 ( efuse command will reveal it )

3) ddr2 or ddr3 ( at the writing moment only uart will reveal )

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • jock changed the title to CSC Armbian for RK322X TV Boxes

Hello guys, good news!

 

RK322x now is mainlined into armbian! This is the download page: https://www.armbian.com/rk322x-tv-box/

From now on your board will get all the benefits of being part of Armbian ecosystem, including kernel updates!

 

Support and developing images will still be provided in this forum thread as usual, so for the thread followers nothing will change ;)

 

edit: I'm in the middle of testing the images and it seems there's something wrong with the bootloader, so don't download them yet!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Igor pinned this topic
27 minutes ago, jock said:

edit: I'm in the middle of testing the images and it seems there's something wrong with the bootloader, so don't download them yet!

Does that also go for the Focal 5.6.19 image on page 1? The txet says 5.6.17 BTW...

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, jock said:

edit: I'm in the middle of testing the images and it seems there's something wrong with the bootloader, so don't download them yet!

Not sure if this is related... Today I cloned the build scripts from https://github.com/armbian/build and created a legacy Ubuntu desktop image for CSC RK322x. Everything worked well and I only had to use Multitool again to install the NAND bootloader (previously I had the Debian test image from 2 days ago installed via StepNAND). After the bootloader reinstall it booted straight from the sdcard. Armbian-config works etc...

 

I have to say this is a major milestone and well done @jock and team!

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Reddwarf said:

Does that also go for the Focal 5.6.19 image on page 1? The txet says 5.6.17 BTW...

Those seems broken too! U-boot seems to be broken, but the last change there is one month old :huh:

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jock said:

Those seems broken too!

Just testing Armbian_20.08.0-trunk_Rk322x-box_focal_current_5.6.19_desktop now, boots fine on my Q96 Home 4k box, ran rk322x-config. It does not see the internal wifi so I have to use a dongle (the Armbian_20.05.0-trunk_Rk322x-box_focal_legacy_4.4.194_desktop does see the internal wifi and it works fine). Haven't got around to testing sound yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ztrawberry said:

Not sure if this is related... Today I cloned the build scripts from https://github.com/armbian/build and created a legacy Ubuntu desktop image for CSC RK322x. Everything worked well and I only had to use Multitool again to install the NAND bootloader (previously I had the Debian test image from 2 days ago installed via StepNAND). After the bootloader reinstall it booted straight from the sdcard. Armbian-config works etc...

 

I have to say this is a major milestone and well done @jock and team!

Ok situation is clear now... turned out that while cleaning up things for mainline inclusion I made a separate branch (rk3229-squash) and by mistake removed the OPTEE binary blob from that :P Stupid u-boot, during compilation, did not say anything about the missing file... You instead most probably cloned the rk3229 branch which was perfectly fine.

 

58 minutes ago, Reddwarf said:

Just testing Armbian_20.08.0-trunk_Rk322x-box_focal_current_5.6.19_desktop now, boots fine on my Q96 Home 4k box, ran rk322x-config. It does not see the internal wifi so I have to use a dongle (the Armbian_20.05.0-trunk_Rk322x-box_focal_legacy_4.4.194_desktop does see the internal wifi and it works fine). Haven't got around to testing sound yet.

If you are testing the image from sdcard it works fine because the good bootloader that is getting engaged in the eMMC. But don't burn the new image in the eMMC, or the safe bootloader will vanish!

 

I'm recompiling things right now, so the balance to the force will be restored soon

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, jock said:

Ok situation is clear now... turned out that while cleaning up things for mainline inclusion I made a separate branch (rk3229-squash) and by mistake removed the OPTEE binary blob from that :P Stupid u-boot, during compilation, did not say anything about the missing file... You instead most probably cloned the rk3229 branch which was perfectly fine.

 

If you are testing the image from sdcard it works fine because the good bootloader that is getting engaged in the eMMC. But don't burn the new image in the eMMC, or the safe bootloader will vanish!

 

I'm recompiling things right now, so the balance to the force will be restored soon

That explains things :) I have the old 4. kernel in emmc, remind me how I can find out what wifi chip the board has from Armbian?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Reddwarf said:

That explains things :) I have the old 4. kernel in emmc, remind me how I can find out what wifi chip the board has from Armbian?

The rk322x-config script will tell you the name (if known) and the vendor/device ids. From the vendor and device id, you may also google around if rk322x-config does not autodetect it.

 

If you got 3030:3030, you have the ssv6051p or 6256p chip. The first one is only supported in legacy 4.4 kernel, the second one is not supported at all. The manufacturer of the chip, aside from providing a crappy driver, was also so dumb to give the very same device ID to two different chips, so to be sure what you got you need to read the signature on the chip itself.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, images on the first page are updated and working, they're safe to use and install in flash.

Images from download page are still broken, server will decide when they will be refreshed

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jock said:

Ok, images on the first page are updated and working, they're safe to use and install in flash.

Images from download page are still broken, server will decide when they will be refreshed

I won't be installing on emmc anytime soon, will the ssv6051p chip (wich I seem to have) be supported in newer kernel(s)?

Link to post
Share on other sites