CSC Armbian for RK322X TV Boxes

jock

Sorry for the late reply, it looks like I'm allowed only one post per day due to bot/spam prevention measures.

The board is marked as MXQ-HX-V2.0 and has a sv6256p wifi chip which means no wi-fi for me (not that I really needed it, but still...)

Here's a picture:

igmMRXL.jpg

I can clearly see the serial port pads marked between the USB and SPDIF connector so I should be fine if anything goes pear shaped.

Still, I'd feel more comfortable knowing if there's been any test done on this board.
I don't need video output or anything else as this is going to be the DNS server of my local network (Pi-Hole, DNSCrypt and all that jazz), but I'd really appreciate not having to sacrifice an SD to hold the rootfs and, more importantly, the ethernet MUST work.

Search Before Posting!

@jock at the end I was impatient and I cleared the emmc and tried to restore the backup... Everything went well, Android has been restored successfully! I think I was lucky because the backup is 2.5gb, under the fat32 limit, but after decompression it is as big as the all emmc (16gb). The problem is that I cannot extract anything from it, since the decompressed file is not an archive according 7zip, it's just a file without any extension. After cleared the emmc again, Linux from sd booted successfully and also after flashing in the emmc. wifi, hdmi works (only audio doesn't but I don't need that). I'm a bit disappointed by the performance, xfce doesn't run that fast, but it's ok since I need just to install klipper for my 3d printer and I hope it's enough for this purpose. Thank you for all the support, you have been precious!

Looks like this board doesn't like booting from the SD.

I've tried booting both Multitool and the latest Armbian image and both time it just booted into Android.

When powering on while keeping the uboot button hidden in the AV connector it just doesn't do anything, black screen.

2 hours ago, donluca said:

Still, I'd feel more comfortable knowing if there's been any test done on this board.
I don't need video output or anything else as this is going to be the DNS server of my local network (Pi-Hole, DNSCrypt and all that jazz), but I'd really appreciate not having to sacrifice an SD to hold the rootfs and, more importantly, the ethernet MUST work.

Normally the base dtb shipped with armbian should work fine with all boards out of the box.

Since your board looks very similar to MXQ_V72/V73, you may also try to apply the led-conf for that board via rk322x-config, but actually you can also keep the base dtb if your board is stable.

The wifi chip is not supported in mainline kernel, only the ssv6051 works; there is an adapted driver but you have to compile it by yourself.

Ethernet will work out of the box.

Anyway a dmesg log can already tell if the peripherals of the device are all detected or not, but for your tasks probably it is much more useful to see if the eMCP flash supports DDR or HS200 modes.

51 minutes ago, marras said:

@jock at the end I was impatient and I cleared the emmc and tried to restore the backup... Everything went well, Android has been restored successfully! I think I was lucky because the backup is 2.5gb, under the fat32 limit, but after decompression it is as big as the all emmc (16gb). The problem is that I cannot extract anything from it, since the decompressed file is not an archive according 7zip, it's just a file without any extension. After cleared the emmc again, Linux from sd booted successfully and also after flashing in the emmc. wifi, hdmi works (only audio doesn't but I don't need that). I'm a bit disappointed by the performance, xfce doesn't run that fast, but it's ok since I need just to install klipper for my 3d printer and I hope it's enough for this purpose. Thank you for all the support, you have been precious!

Ah ok, not I got it... you tried to decompressed the backup twice, and the second time came the error. Well that's right, once you decompress the first time, you get a binary image that indeed cannot be decompressed again. You need a specific tool if you want to extract anything from it, but as long as your board boots and works fine there is no need for the dtb to be inspected.

The performance is what you get from an old armv7 chip, it has no horsepower to be a complete desktop replacement but works really fine for server/command line tasks.

Just tried rebooting using "reboot update" via a terminal emulator on Android and with the Armbian image in the SD card slot it booted back to Android, but with the Multiboot image it gave me a green screen... and that was pretty much it.

At this point I'm a bit scared to proceed and try to wipe the eMMC since I can't test Armbian by booting it from the SD card 😐

Edited by donluca

27 minutes ago, donluca said:

Looks like this board doesn't like booting from the SD.

I've tried booting both Multitool and the latest Armbian image and both time it just booted into Android.

When powering on while keeping the uboot button hidden in the AV connector it just doesn't do anything, black screen.

Yes, when you push the button you can then use rkdeveloptool to erase flash or upload a new firmware to the board, but you need a male-to-male cable to connect your PC to the OTG port of the board.

There is some reference about in the first page of the forum on how to do that.

The Armbian image as-is is not supposed to boot from sdcard if there is the android firmware, but the multitool should boot from sdcard no matter what firmware is there.

Well you can erase your flash if you don't care about the original android firmware; then the board will boot from sdcard in any case, but still your case is a bit weird because usually the multitool boots fine.

13 minutes ago, donluca said:

At this point I'm a bit scared to proceed and try to wipe the eMMC since I can't test Armbian by booting it from the SD card 😐

Normally all the other board works that way because that behaviour is embedded in the SoC, but I don't know if the manufacturer did some weirdness with your board and that does not apply to you, but if you wipe the emmc the board should boot from sdcard, and then armbian can boot.

What is preventing armbian from running from sdcard is the android firmware, if you remove it from the emmc then both armbian and multitool should boot fine from sdcard.

edit: ha, I just reread the post and got the thing about the multitool green screen... well that's a very good sign, that means there is something not exactly right for your board in the dtb or the kernel. Do the led is fixed on/off or it is blinking? The serial adapter may tell more about the crash.

A terrible suspicion came to me right as I was writing the previous post, so I did a quick cat /proc/cpuinfo... and it has an H3 CPU.

Everything that was written on the box and on the eBay auction was completely off.

It looks like this one: 

Apologies for wasting your time, I'll go and try out another image for the correct CPU!

after contemplating on installing armbian, I finally managed to do it and it boots on first try but only in sd card. I'm kinda scared to flash it to the internal memory and mess up the box because it has emcp. 

at first the multitool didn't detect any emcp then after hitting the restart it sees the partition, backed it up and wipe it. I guess I got lucky

The board model is MXQ_71. Fingers crossed that my backup works if I will try to restore the original firmware.

2 hours ago, speed21 said:

after contemplating on installing armbian, I finally managed to do it and it boots on first try but only in sd card. I'm kinda scared to flash it to the internal memory and mess up the box because it has emcp. 

If the armbian boots from sdcard the worst thing that may happen, once installed on eMCP, is the rootfs that does not get recognized. It is not as scary as it may sound, because you will indeed be able to reboot from sdcard into armbian/multitool.

I think you're safe enough.