x96max - can´t boot from USB or SDcard

MadOp

hi guys,

A while ago I got this x96 Max tv box in the hope to tinker with it at some point, but it turns out I am not able to even boot from the sdcard or USB....

Maybe I am overlooking something basic so I figured I ´d ask people more knowledgable tha me in this matters.

The procedure I´ve tried so far is powering the device while pressing the button hidden in the AV plug. The screen just stays black until I power it off.

I´ve tested witha few cards and drives, a bunch of OSes (armban, corelec, emuelec) and a bunch of image writing applications.

I have not tried some app released by amlogic themselves that I grasped it exists somewhere?? But for what I understand creating the boot drive with that particular app is not a "requirement",or is it?

It´s "feels" like the device is not even seeing the alternative boot device, has anyone experienced this?

Thanks in advance.

MadOp

Hi there,

Assuming the process you follow is correct, the box won't boot unless you properly configure the uEnv.txt (or equivalent in other OS) to config the kernel loading.

The initial challenge is to find and select the right DTB. If you don't do that, the boot will just not happen.

If when you don't do the AV button, system boots from emmc, it means that the AV thing is really bypassing the normal boot, that is, it is working.

• Werner locked this topic