mount EMMC on Armbian legacy

donj

I have a cubieboard2 (A20 - sunxi 7i) and i have attached an Foresee EMMC to it and i am able to boot a customised Sunxi-Kernel (3.4.104) from it. I also have an SDCARD with Armbian (Legacy) Jessie which also boots fine.

My question is what do i need to do in order to get Armbian (legacy) Jessie to be able to mount the emmc?  When i boot up Armbian via the sdcard, i can't see the emmc. Am i doing something wrong, or do i need to make some changes to the .fex file?

Should i use the Armbian tool to make changes to the .fex file and roll a new u-boot, if so, can you guide me as to what changes i need to make in order to see both the sdcard and emmc flash devices from Armbian.

By the way, I love Armbian (you guys have done a brilliant job), i think it is awesome and i want to use it as my default os on my emmc.

For booting from eMMC u-boot patch is needed, assuming it is connected as MMC2.

For mounting eMMC (while booting system from SD) in OS you only need to enable it in .fex/.bin configuration with proper detection flags, after that check your dmesg for any SD/MMC errors if new device node did not appear in /dev

Hi Gents,

Thanks for your help with this. Your feedback is exactly what i needed. I have 2 questions, because i don't want to mess this up:

1. What is the best way to apply the patch (https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib/blob/master/patch/u-boot/u-boot-default/add-emmc-lime2.patch.disabled)

2. What changes do i need to make to .fex/.bin configuration and what are the proper detection flags if i did want to mount eMMC while booting system from SD.

Thanks in advance.

Edit your board configuration, located in /boot/bin/cubieboard2.bin
You need to convert it from bin to fex (bin2fex cubieboard2.bin cubiboard2.fex), edit, and convert back (fex2bin cubieboard2.fex cubiboard2.bin).

I think you need to disable NAND and enable eMMC:

[mmc2_para]
sdc_used = 1

[nand_para]
nand_used = 0

If you want to boot from this eMMC than, you need to patch u-boot, add the same parameters, and hope they work:

to cubieboard2 config, recompile u-boot, install it and install system on eMMC. In theory you should be able to boot from it.