Swapping SD cards between hardware of the same model does not work

sa_leinad

Hi all,

I bought a Orange Pi PC 2 a year or two back, loaded the Armbian image successfully and tweaked it until it was just right for my application.

As this piece of hardware was going to live on a remote property, I bought another 2 Orange Pi PC 2 boards and some new SD cards with the intention of having 2 backups - one for development and the other as spare. I loaded these two up with the latest Armbian image and configured them as needed. These two work fine, even if I swap the SD card between these two pieces of hardware.

However, when I try to put the SD card from the original Orange Pi PC 2 into one of the newer Orange Pi PC 2 it will not boot.  I can see on the UART console that it is trying to start the kernel but just hangs.

These are all the same hardware: They are all Orange Pi PC 2's and even the board revision printed in the silkscreen is the same. So it makes no sense why certain SD cards work for some hardware and not others. Can anyone think of why this might be happening? I am thinking I have missed something really simple, so please give me all the advice you can - even if it is really basic.

Many thanks to you all in advance.

There appears to be no provision for eMMC on the OrangePi PC2.

Because Armbian current is using 2020.04 U-Boot at the moment...

Yes this image is about 2 years old and only works on my older OrangePi PC2. The images that do work on my two newer OrangePi PC2 boards both are using 2019.10 U-Boot.

Edited by sa_leinad
Typo. Wrong board was written.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.