OBS Studio and Armbian

marxero

Hello everybody.

I'm a newcomer here.

I tried several times (6 or 7) to use the "Search" function, typing either "OBS" or "OBS Studio", but the page crashed everytime, prompting me to wait 30 seconds (in vain).

So I'm considering buying an Odroid N2+ and installing Armbian on it. As said in the title, I'd like to use OBS Studio on it, but would like to know if someone already installed it - and could use it of course -, just to spare time.

Maybe it's already been discussed somewhere here, but as I said, the "Search" function doesn't work for me.

Thanks in advance.

No reason why it shouldn't, as that is just another user space package like any other (AFAIU).

But maybe you can report back how it worked for you, for the benefit of the next person who comes along looking.  ;)

8 hours ago, TRS-80 said:

No reason why it shouldn't, as that is just another user space package like any other (AFAIU).

With the exception (AFAIU) that it is designed for PC video architecture. It uses the FFMPEG framework for GPU accelerated video operations. But SOC based ARM devices have dedicated VPU IPs (v4l2) where mainline FFMPEG framework has little support for. You have to apply out of tree patches if they exist at all for the desired version.

Gstreamer based applications are better off, current mainline developer versions support everything current kernel provides.
When it comes to hardware-accelerated video encoders, there is only marginal support in mainline kernel, if at all. Above all, they are waiting for the complete de-staging of the decoder APIs before their mainline development continues.
Therefore, it will take some time until all current developments end up in the distributions and work out of the box. But the one who can follow the current developer versions comes a long way.

On 3/17/2022 at 12:09 AM, marxero said:

I'm considering buying an Odroid N2+

When it comes to the SOC of devices, that of the N2+ (Amlogic) is less advanced because it has statefull decoders. For example, Rockchip based devices with stateless decoders are more advanced.