Is the Armbian for the Allwinner H6 (Orange Pi Lite 2) usable for the Allwinner H616 (Orange Pi Zero 2)?

Ferrys93_de

As the title suggests I would like to know, if it is possible to use the Armbian designed for the Allwinner H6 (Orange Pi Lite 2) for the Allwinner H616 (Orange Pi Zero 2). I assume the differences between them might not be that big.

Is it useable, if not, why is this the case. What could happen when I try to use it with the H616?

Thank you very much in advance

Ferry

11 hours ago, Ferrys93_de said:

Is it useabl

No

why is this the case

Lite2 has H6 SoC while Zero2 has the newer H616.

What could happen when I try to use it with the H616?

Probably nothing spectacular besides no boot.

https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_FAQ/#why-i-cannot-simply-shove-a-random-image-into-my-board-to-work-like-on-my-pc

Thank you for the quick answer!

Update:

I found a post which shows, that it is possible to run Armbinan with HDMI-support/Desktop on the Orange Pi Zero 2, but could not figure out how I can get it to work. Is there a detailed documentation about this?

I downloaded https://github.com/apritzel/linux/tree/h616-v13 and tried to compile it with an Ubuntu Terminal under Windows 10.

I am relatively new to Linux systems and may lack basic knowledge. Because of that, I'm also happy to receive obvious tips.

Thank you in advance

Compiling firmware for arm devices is unfortunately a lot of more and quite a few hacks are necessary to get everything in order so that it boots or works to say.

That is why armbian was created to be do all this stuff for the user.

It is also not only the kernel that need to have drivers for all the functions but also u-boot.

No idea what sources Zero2 images are currently built of and (if not directly from Andre's branch) up to which point his patches were adopted.

Like many other boards Zero2 has no dedicated developer that takes care of it. Also if maintainer is not much active it's current status remains unknown.