Problems with 22.08 jammy images

Sloth

Howdy

With a p2 that already had ubuntu installed on the ssd using the firefly technique, it seemed time to upgrade using to armbian.

Installing the new uboot went fine.  It is not clear how to confirm it. The command did not error.

However using the jammy 22.08 images, the uuid does not appear to be on the SD card.  At this time I do not have a serial cable.  However the image shows sum of the situation.

Any help appreciated including advice on rj45 to serial cable.

Thanks.

The images that were a problem were Armbian 22.08 Jammy, Armbian 22.08 Jammy XFCE,  and the Sept 26 Sid server.

The process was download latest Firefly firmware.  

Download latest station OS.

Download ubuntu from menu in station OS

Install the new Uboot recommended on the Station P2 page burning with the recommended burner.

Burn the image for the OS. 

Insert into Station.

Boot from the SDcard.  Wait a while.

This would be easier if I could just upload an image.  But an image is as follows.  

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b5LLRCYlNqURGzOabUD1C8sfhis05ukd/view?usp=sharing

Also this should be able to be confirmed just looking at the image.  The uuid's can be pulled from the image.  Hopefully so can the root UUID.

5 часов назад, Sloth сказал:

Install the new Uboot recommended on the Station P2 page burning with the recommended burner.

You have installed the old u-boot (which does not know how to work with other systems) in SPI. The fact that this u-boot is called "new" does not mean anything, in fact it is an old u-boot without support for launching other systems (except Firefly images, which use an outdated startup scheme). The solution of how to get rid of the old u-boot in SPI was described in this topic.

https://forum.armbian.com/topic/18852-board-bring-up-station-p2-rk3568-m2-rk3566/?do=findComment&comment=136734

Perhaps there was some confusion earlier.  I did install the new U-boot recommended on the armbian page for the Station P2.

Operations worked as followed. 

Burned Armbian_21.11.0-trunk_Station-p2_hirsute_legacy_4.19.193.img.xz to SD card.

Booted Station P2 from SD card,

Answered Simple questions.

Ran /vendor/p2-station-update-uboot as root.

See a couple of dd operations.

Run shutdown -h now.

Remove SD card

Place back in other machine.  

Flash Armbian_22.08.2_Station-p2_jammy_current_5.18.19.img.xz to sd card.

Insert SD card into Station P2.

Reboot Station P2 with Jammy  SD card in slot.

It start booting the SD card.  

Then I get the ALERT on the UUID with the same syntax as before.

Armbian_21.11.0-trunk_Station-p2_hirsute_legacy_4.19.193.img.xzArmbian_21.11.0-trunk_Station-p2_hirsute_legacy_4.19.193.img.xz

7 часов назад, Sloth сказал:

Then I get the ALERT on the UUID with the same syntax as before.

After updating the bootloader from the image (legacy_4.19.193) . Check again the launch with this SD card, without changing anything on it (you do NOT need to start the update procedure). If after updating the bootloader, the system continues to start normally from the SD card with the image (legacy_4.19.193), then you have u-boot in SPI and the update will not help you in any way, you need to completely erase SPI at the beginning (disable startup from SPI). Only after that, the processor will switch to using the bootloader from eMMC and you will be able to update it and use the launch of any systems from external media (SD\USB).

Ok I think I get it.  Using the Legacy_4.19.193 I need to run the nand-install-sata utility to update the uboot in the SPI.  Then I can switch to another image.  

After completing the procedure, turn off the system and you can use the new images as usual, perform the installation in eMMC\NVMe\SATA using the standard nand-install-sata utility.

read to me as I could use the Armbian 22.08 Jammy image to run the nand-install-sata utility and put the new uboot on the SPI.

Another point of confusion was I had not seen the term SPI on my system until I ran the nand-install-sata on the legacy_4.19.193 image.

20 минут назад, Sloth сказал:

read to me as I could use the Armbian 22.08 Jammy image to run the nand-install-sata utility and put the new uboot on the SPI.

Another point of confusion was I had not seen the term SPI on my system until I ran the nand-install-sata on the legacy_4.19.193 image.

You cannot use nand-sata-install to update SPI (this mode has never been tested and is potentially very dangerous. You risk getting a big problem, because u-boot in Armbian is not designed for SPI (this possibility has not been tested).

I see in the other thread where tenbrox on March 9th cleared the SPI.  looking through that thread, I do not see how to clear the SPI.  Maybe I am reading too quickly. I have gone over it two or three times. Can you please give the post's date/time for how to clear the SPI in that thread?

It also confuses me in the other thread that I am supposed to remove u-boot both from SPI and from EMMC according to your March 9th post.

1 час назад, Sloth сказал:

So which option from nand-install-sata should I choose?

At the moment, nand-sata-install (absolutely in all versions of Armbian) is not designed to work (update\clean, etc.) SPI content on Station models. I don't test this function (I don't want to risk killing my instance with such experiments). You can contact the manufacturer to give recommendations on how to do this and check which version of u-boot from Armbian images can be used to write to SPI.

7 часов назад, Sloth сказал:

Flashing the Jammy image onto a new SD card that did not have the legacy on it booted fine.  

nand-install-sata did not seem to recognize the nvme installed with a sata installed as well.  

Before using (installing using nand-sata-install) the system, the NVMe module must be prepared, create a partition table and one partition on it.

What do you mean by the nvme module must be prepared?  Is there a reference?  

I tried modprobe nvme.

The docs saying use nand-sata-install normally are a little vague for me as most of my experience comes from x86.  

Thanks.

4 часа назад, Sloth сказал:

What do you mean by the nvme module must be prepared?  Is there a reference?  

I tried modprobe nvme.

The docs saying use nand-sata-install normally are a little vague for me as most of my experience comes from x86.  

Run gparted (in a running Armbian on P2), create an MBR partition table and create a partition for the entire NVMe with ext4. And after that - reboot the system and launch nan-sata-install.

Today was something new.  No I still do not have it working.

I was however able to get the M.2 Drive to appear in the boot menu. Replacing the /dev/mmc..... entries in /vendor/p2-station-update-uboo with /dev/nvme0n1 and then running it caused the M.2 drive to magically appear in the Station OS boot menu.

The usefulness of this is unclear.