Armbian boot from iSCSI

timonoj

Hi guys,

Given the not so great durability of SD cards (and limited storage...I try to keep everything on NFS mounts, but there's always some log that decides to randomly fill the SD card full of crap), and the incapability of run properly docker (it runs, but it NEEDS to use damn local storage, and won't take an NFS mount for some reason...it gets full real quick), I was considering to boot to a iSCSI target. This would let me expand storage anytime I need, plus it would make backup and snapshots a piece of cake. Is there a way to do this?

Hi guys!

I'm embarking myself in a rather messy subject, as in, not very tested. I'd like to get rid as much as possible of the SD usage, and I don't want to use a local HDD either (wouldn't look neat where the Banana Pi sits). So...I'm trying an iSCSI target in a NAS!

I'm trying to follow this guide, but I'm full of doubts. As the guide is designed for a normal computer, it reaches the point where it starts talking about GRUB. How do we perform boot on the Banana? Can anyone let me know where can I find documentation on the ARM boot process for armbian?

Thanks!

The main thing I know is that root on NFS is possible and it is easier to set up.

You can find some info about boot process on the Wiki, in short:

• U-boot needs to be loaded from SD, after that it can be configured to use TFTP or it can load kernel, initrd and other files from SD as usual.
  • Kernel command line is defined in boot script - boot.cmd, which needs to be compiled to boot.scr
  • New Armbian images should support initrd without any issues

I'm trying to follow this guide

"A peculiar thing about iSCSI is that it doesn't really like the network going away while a session is connected."

I "love" this kind of sibylline cryptic commentary ... I would also like to use iSCSI but not with such enthusiastic tutorial !

Ok...This is a bit over what I've done before so far.

I found several guides more, like this one (for x86), and this other one, the most promising so far, for a Raspberry, using uboot and all. So far I dumped the working SD contents to the iSCSI target. And I have a working TFTP I can reconfigure in a minute to point somewhere else. However I'm a bit confused on editing the boot.cmd:

Setting up your uboot scripts

There are two places you need to make new uboot scripts. First, the trimslice itself needs a small uboot script that converts the existing uboot to tftpboot. You can replace the uboot in NAND if you like, but it's easier to just plug a small slow SD card in with just a boot script:

/boot//boot/boot.cmd/boot/boot.scr

The boot.cmd contains the following commands:

dhcptftp 0x43f0000 ${dnsip}:trimslice/trimslice.scrsource 0x43f0000

The command to convert the .cmd to a .scr is:

mkimage -A arm -O linux -T script -C none -a 0 -e 0 -n "Trim Slice boot script" -d boot.cmd boot.scr

All this script does is use DHCP to configure its network interface, then connect to the DHCP server's TFTP to fetch yet another uboot script to run. In the TFTP area, we create another uboot script that looks like this (fill in your own MAC address, and any other specific kernel parameters you need):

dhcpsetenv bootargs "mem=384M@0M mem=512M@512M nvmem=128M@384M vmalloc=248M console=ttyS0,115200n8 rw root=/dev/sdc1netroot=iscsi:@192.168.1.2::::dj.2011-12.com.delorie:sample.1 iscsi_initiator=dj.2011-12.com.delorie:sample.1 ifname=eth0:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx ip=eth0:dhcp nohdparm rootwait earlyprintk rd_NO_PLYMOUTH"tftp 4080000 ${dnsip}:trimslice/uImagetftp 4400000 ${dnsip}:trimslice/uInitrd-iscsibootm 4080000 4400000

While you're in there, copy the uImage and uInitrd-iscsi files from the SD card with your rootfs on it. Note that the tftp commands in the above uboot script need to match the file names you copy, whatever they are.

My doubts here: How could I specify a fixed address in the uboot script instead of dhcp? As I want my banana to be a server, and I already have an IP for it. If the /etc/network/interfaces sets a different IP later on, I'm afraid I might get disconnected from the target.

What's with this:

tftp 0x43f0000 ${dnsip}:trimslice/trimslice.scr

source 0x43f0000

What does the 0x43f0000 mean, and should I change it for our bananas?

Should I compile the /boot/boot.cmd in the SD exactly on that path while running from the banana? If anything fails, I don't get a do-over since it will no longer boot, right?

Thanks!

Ok...This is a bit over what I've done before so far.

Just keep it simple. If you don't like SDcards or HDDs you could also use fast USB3 nano flash drives. In case you'd rather use network storage, use NFS as per

The main thing I know is that root on NFS is possible and it is easier to set up.

Good luck.

Just keep it simple. If you don't like SDcards or HDDs you could also use fast USB3 nano flash drives. In case you'd rather use network storage, use NFS as per

Good luck.

Thanks Rodolfo. Yeah, I'd consider that as an option...or maybe even a tiny SSD. But I'd really like the way of complex now, way easier maintenance later. After all, I'm having these trouble due to having it very easy on the go setup before...that I now need to completely change. If I get the iSCSI going, I can get easy snapshots and backups on the go, plus some other benefits, like expandable storage anytime I want, without even rebooting the Banana. This Banana is/will be handling all my personal cloud (seafile), backups and some other tasks...I want it running with the less maintenance possible once it works.

Ok, so this is a failure, but an encouraging one:

H5ZXuOX.jpg

It's really reaching my NAS, but at the wrong path. The NAS specifies a fie bananapi.scr, and the path should be tftp_root/bananapi. There's a tftp_root/pxelinux.cfg with a working default file that launches a menu for different x86/x64 distros (only a testing live ubuntu at the moment). Not sure why it goes to pxelinux.cfg path if I didn't ask it to.

The SD's boot.cmd is:

ipaddr 192.168.0.5

tftp 0x00000000 192.168.0.10:bananapi/bananapi.scr

source 0x0000000

And then the more complete boot.cmd at the tftp_root/bananapi goes as follows:

ipaddr 192.168.0.5

setenv bootargs "mem=384M@0M mem=512M@512M nvmem=128M@384M vmalloc=248M console=ttyS0,115200n8 rw root=/dev/sdc1

netroot=iscsi:@192.168.0.10::::iqn.2004-04.com.qnap:ts-431:iscsi.armbian.000001 iscsi_initiator=iqn.2004-04.com.qnap:ts-431:iscsi.armbian.000001 ifname=eth0:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx ip=eth0:192.168.0.5 nohdparm rootwait earlyprintk rd_NO_PLYMOUTH"

tftp 4080000 192.168.0.10:bananapi/uImage

tftp 4400000 192.168.0.10:bananapi/uInitrd-iscsi

bootm 4080000 4400000

Now to be honest, I'm not sure if it got stuck at the SD's boot.cmd or it managed to reach the second one. I think it's the first. It then fails to get the IP, not sure why and goes to get dhcp anyway. It doesn't look too bad to start with.

EDIT: Well it seems to reach the bananapi/bananapi.scr path, as that's the transfer seen at the top of the screen "17.6 KiB/s, Done". With a dhcp IP instead of the one I tried setting, so I guess that command is wrong. Then it fails with the misaligned operation, which I have no clue how to fix, and then goes rambling around trying to find any other script. Not sure why it doesn't stick to the bananapi.scr.

3 minutes ago, zador.blood.stained said:

But does this require u-boot EFI support? Last time I heard EFI on armhf doesn't work properly, so this would be limited to arm64 only.

Yes for booting to iSCSI you would use EFI. Grub supports 32bit armhf EFI. And of cause the Linux kernel loaded by Grub has to be built with an EFI stub.