R-TV BOX S10 box no longer starts with the latest version after update

spirake

I installed the latest version on an armbian sd and after the update and upgrade it doesn't start anymore. At the end, the terminal shows the following:ln: failed to create hard link '/boot/initrd.img-6.1.0-meson64.dpkg-bak' => '/boot/initrd.img-6.1.0-meson64': Operation not permitted
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-6.1.0-meson64

The version used is from here:https://github.com/armbian/community-aml-s9xx-box📁📁kinetic-edge-xfce-1319M-6.1.0.

I am also attaching a picture.

Can someone help me what I need to do to be able to update && upgrade?

IMAG1190.jpg

Armbian & Khadas are rewarding contributors

You have provided very little basic information about your situation.  Lets start with the basics:  What box do you have, what dtb are you using, what u-boot.ext are you using.  Did the box originally work from the sdcard?  What exact steps did you do between when it was working and when you get the error above?

R-TV BOX S10

CPU:Amlogic S912 Octa core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU 64 biti
GPU:ARM Mali-T820MP3 GPU up to 750MHz (DVFS)
RAM: 3GB DDR4
ROM: 64GB  eMMC

DTB :meson-gxm-q200

The box started, it  works, but it asked for an update. I performed the upgrade and after the restart it remained as in the attached image.

The installation was done on the sd card. I wrote one more time and after the update and upgrade the same thing happened.

This is the image used:

Armbian_23.02.0-trunk_Aml-s9xx-box_kinetic_edge_6.1.0_xfce_desktop.img

On another sd card I installed the older image which works without problems after the upgrade with the same dtb

Armbian_20.10_Arm-64_bullseye_current_5.9.0_desktop

I write the images with balenaEtcher to check them

r-tv-box-s10.jpg

How are you doing the update/upgrade?  command line or gui?

The error screen you show above is interesting as it is saying it can't find the mmcblk1p1 (which should be the root partition on the sd card).

Can you provide a directory listing of the contents of /boot after the upgrade, but before rebooting.

Also could you show the contents of your extlinux.conf file (again after upgrade but before rebooting).

Then it would also be helpful to have the full contents of the uboot display during the reboot (not just the end of the output you have screenshot above).

• SteeMan changed the title to R-TV BOX S10 box no longer starts with the latest version after update

I identified the reason why the box didn't start after the upgrade. At first when I wrote the image on the card, I used (meson-gxm-q200-mod.dtb) and it detected bluetooth with this dtb. After the upgrade the dtb was changed - the one without mode, respectively (meson-gxm-q200.dtb) and it no longer corresponded to the one written in extlinux.conf and the bluetooth was no longer connected either.

If you are going to use a custom dtb you need to put it in the /boot directory and make the extlinux.conf point to it there.

The contents of /boot/dtb are kernel version specific and when the kernel is upgraded they are replaced with newer versions.  The whole directory is replaced so any customizations you place in there will be lost.

48 minutes ago, spirake said:

What should I do to use the same custom dtb all the time?

I tried to already answer that question, but perhaps I wasn't specific enough:

16 hours ago, SteeMan said:

If you are going to use a custom dtb you need to put it in the /boot directory and make the extlinux.conf point to it there.

You need to place the custom dtb outside the /boot/dtb directory in /boot directly. Then you extlinux.conf reference would look like: FDT /<custom file>.dtb

Hello Please help me with an advice how I can fix the system errors. I have 3 errors that are degraded:

sorin@aml-s9xx-box:~$ systemctl --failed
  UNIT                       LOAD   ACTIVE SUB    DESCRIPTION
● motd-news.service          loaded failed failed Message of the Day
● smartmontools.service      loaded failed failed Self Monitoring and Reporting Technology (SMART) Daemon
● speech-dispatcherd.service loaded failed failed Speech-Dispatcher, common interface to speech synthesizers

LOAD   = Reflects whether the unit definition was properly loaded.
ACTIVE = The high-level unit activation state, i.e. generalization of SUB.
SUB    = The low-level unit activation state, values depend on unit type.
3 loaded units listed.