Get most of the chip

garz
Go to solution Solved by occupied_username,

Hey there fellow Pi enthusiasts!

I am absolutely thrilled to have just gotten my hands on the Orange Pi 5, but being new to the world of Pi's and small chips, I was a bit intimidated. However, after exploring this forum, I must say that I am impressed with the amazing work you all have done with the software!

I recently stumbled upon the Armbian 23.02 Jammy Gnome and decided to give it a shot. After successfully installing it to my SSD, updating and upgrading it, and enabling 3D acceleration with the commands provided, I thought I was good to go. But something still seems off to me - the graphics just don't seem to be as fast as I thought they would be. I'm not feeling the 60 FPS and with 4k, there's a lot of dropping happening.

So here's my question: Is there a way to boost things up to run more smoothly and safely? I want to make sure I'm getting the most out of this chip, particularly the 2.4GHz CPU and the amazing GPU. If any of you experts out there can help me out or provide me with some useful links, I would be eternally grateful!

• Solution

Hey Garz,

I am new to Armbian as well, but kind of feel, I am getting the hang of it -- so let me try and point you in the direction of some info that helped me out.

I myself got the feeling, that using the stable version was... well... less stable when tinkering with hardware acceleration. Things seemed to work out better when I started using the later "trunks" (amended/adapted OS-images).

It has also provided some use for me to mix-and-match a bit, when it comes to what "guides" I follow.

With that regard, I would suggest this approach:

1) Use a more recent trunk than the default image/trunk

You can find the later releases here: https://github.com/armbian/build/releases

2) Take you outset in one of the many guides for optimizing GPU-performance.

This one worked well for me, namely since it also displays some nice ways of validating the effects of the optimizations:

Note.

When I ran

$ cd /usr/lib64/ && sudo ln -s aarch64-linux-gnu/libv4l2.so.0.0.0 libv4l2.so

the command returned an "error" referring to the fact that the file already existed. I simply ignored that, with no apparent detrimental effect, assuming that some of what the guide provides had been implemented elsewhere in the preceding pipeline.

3) Ensure that you are actually running Wayland.

One way  to test this is with 

$ echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE

If it returns "x11", then you are not running Wayland. Not sure whether this is still a prerequisite, as I was seeing an impact of the configurations @eshelton outlines prior to the reboot.

The Kodi-guide by @adr3nal1n27 also worked well for me.

In general, you should spend some time reading up on some of the threads in here. Many of them provide insight in common issues, and the general progression of Armbian for the OPi5 SBC. This OG thread

should certainly be on the curriculum 🙂

Break a leg!