Odroid N2 - Bullseye images not booting from eMMC except for first release (21.08.1 - 5.10.60)

Kahana82

Hello,

I was running OpenMediaVault on Armbian Buster some time ago and after an update (I suppose) the system would not boot normally anymore.

Had to move places shortly after that, so the board stayed in a box for about a year and now I would like to put it back into service.

A Bullseye image is required for OMV 6, so I went to the website and downloaded the latest image for my Odroid N2 board :

Armbian_23.02.2_Odroidn2_bullseye_current_6.1.11.img.xz

I then flashed the 16GB eMMC and plugged it in ... no boot (fixed red led / no network)

If I do the same with an SDCard, it boots up normally (blinking blue led / working SSH)

So I tried older images, just in case something went wrong somewhere in time with kernels or u-boot.

The only one I found in the archive that boots up normally is the very first Bullseye image available :

Armbian_21.08.1_Odroidn2_bullseye_current_5.10.60.img.xz

If I then update the system (apt update && apt upgrade) it no longer boots (led stays red like with later images).

Oddly it also works if I try the latest Bookworm image :

Armbian_23.05.0-trunk-369e69a55_Odroidn2_bookworm_current_6.1.22_minimal.img.xz

But sadly this will not work out of the box to install OMV 6 as it needs Bullseye.

So I edited the install script to bypass the requirement, but at some point it can't get a package :

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
php-pam : Depends: phpapi-20190902 but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

So no dice ...

Could someone please enlighten me as to what is happening here ?

1 час назад, Kahana82 сказал:

I then flashed the 16GB eMMC and plugged it in ... no boot (fixed red led / no network)

If I do the same with an SDCard, it boots up normally (blinking blue led / working SSH)

There should be a switch on this device to select the download option. Are you using it?

If what you mean is the SPI switch, then yes I think I know my way around the boot sequence with it :

Left = Petitboot

Right = eMMC / SD-Card (if no eMMC)

So when I said that (what you quoted) I meant that I'm plugging in the either the eMMC or the SD-Card, never both and SPI switch to the right.

Anyway we're a few hours later and I managed to get it running and up to date by :

This time the system restarted normally and now I'm greeted with:

Welcome to Armbian 23.02.2 Bullseye with Linux 6.1.11-meson64

So all is good and well I suppose...

Thanks for helping out :)