[Custom setup] Banana Pi Pro does not boot after latest update (5.23)

vba

After latest update and reboot my Banana Pi Pro does not boot. The boot screen is showing but when it starts loading the kernel, the screen just turns dark and a blinking cursor in left upper corner just appears.

What to do?

Please provide more info. From which version you made an upgrade? Have you saw any errors during upgrade? Were you running from SATA drive? .. etc. All what you can remember! If you can provide a boot log from serial console, that would be perfect.

Please provide more info. From which version you made an upgrade? Have you saw any errors during upgrade? Were you running from SATA drive? .. etc. All what you can remember! If you can provide a boot log from serial console, that would be perfect.

I got boot partition on a SD-card. I have attached a sata-hdd which is used for the rest of the operating system. I was upgrading from v. 5.20 (vanilla kernel)

I remember some warnings about that apt couldn't remove some files from a directory, because it was not empty, but I don't think, that this is the problem.

I'm using cryptsetup to decrypt the sata-hdd at boot time. (cryptroot in the boot.cmd file) (http://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/276-boot-sata-encrypted-disk/)

Any help will be higly appreciated. I don't have access to a serial console  :( I got the banana pi pro attached to a hdmi display and an usb keyboard. Can I see the log on that display? Please provide steps then. Thanks.

Set verbosity to 9 within boot.cmd (and recompile) and see if some errors pops out. I never used cryptroot so I don't know what is critical ... from our perspective, upgrading from 5.20 to 5.23 and to latest beta works out of the box. No problems.

Not sure whether this is related but I too failed to boot on Banana Pi M1+ after updating to kernel 4.8.4. But this was because my boot.cmd was still pointing to the old dtb. After pointing it to sun7i-a20-bananapi-m1-plus.dtb and creating boot.scr, it manages to boot up but my usb device was not detected. lsusb gave the following error 

lsusb unable to initialize libusb: -99

Instinctively, i downloaded sun7i-a20-sinovoip-bpi-m1-plus.dtb from kernel 4.7.3 build, place it in /boot/dtb, pointed my boot.cmd to it, create boot.scr and my usb devices were detected again.

Set verbosity to 9 within boot.cmd (and recompile) and see if some errors pops out. I never used cryptroot so I don't know what is critical ... from our perspective, upgrading from 5.20 to 5.23 and to latest beta works out of the box. No problems.

Newbie question, but how do I recompile when my device not booting up?

EDIT: I Think it never reaches the point where it is loading the cryptsetup. At the older kernel, it loads the drivers first and some other stuff.. hmm

EDIT2: I managed to change the verbosity as you suggested. I got this:

[10.787555] device-mapper: uevent: version 1.0.3

[10.801525] device-mapper: ioctl (2016-06-23) initialised: dm-devel@redhat.com

Then it stops and the cursor just blinks. What can be wrong?

I then tried to recompile uInitrd image with the same load adress(-a) as my old setup was running at:

mkimage -A arm -T ramdisk -C none -n uInitrd -a 0x42000000 -d initrd uInitrd

Then I get:

[8.697718] systemd-udevd[151]: starting version 215.

Agian it stops and cursor just blinks.. :-(

The last kernel update (4.6.x to 4.7.x) was no problem. Can it be something with the armbian-firmware package which has been changed into default and a full?