BPiM5 armbian bullseye - OMV samsung 2TB ssd won't show up

Hankpt

Hi peoples,

updating my old NAS (odroidH1 OMV) 1TB SSD

New set-up:

BPiM5 armbian bullseye - OMV samsung 2TB SSD

installation up and running but... OMV or sudo fdisk -l cannot see new Samsung 2TB SSD (I have 2 of these, one will be back-up)
I have connected ssd's via sata usb3.1 cable

Hi Werner

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
I spent many hrs lastnight trying to get these ssd's to show up with no success..... upon waking this morning i had an idea to test....

I plugged in a standard usb thumb drive next to 1 SSD and rebooted.... In the terminal i could see the usb drive and to my surprise i could also see the SSD

I then opened OMV6 web interface and could also see both usb drive & SSD.. so! long story short, i ended up setting up both the SSD's for OMV6..... all good!.... BUT!!

I found the problem: when i take the usb drive out it continues to work until I restart BPiM5 without it in place, the SSD's no longer show up. If i plug the usb drive back in and restart BPiM5 then the SSD's show up.

So I'm now in the situation for this to work, i have to have a usb stick in place, not really ideal considering if i want to mount more drive's in near future.

It seems that the BPi had no trouble seeing the usb stick and allocated a label for it which then lets it see the 2 SSD's and label them accordingly, all still runs fine when i remove usb stick.... until I restart without it.
It's like it's messing with it's (a)(b)(c) allocations.

I'm a noob, I have no idea what's causing this.... maybe the sata cables i bought (USB3.1 usap)?? I really wanted to get the 3.2 gen2 cables but the costs were mounting up. maybe i should have stuck with the standard USB3.0 cables?

Or it's the ssd's themselves, I thought being samsung 2TB-870QVO's it should be less chance of issues?

Kind Regards.