Latest Armbian for S805 TV

granitr

Hi,

so after many hours of trial and error I have managed to get the latest Armbian with Kernel 6.1.27 running on my old mxq s805 tv box.

Albeit only thing that is not working is hdmi output and wifi. 

So for anyone else trying to accomplish something similar, my steps were:

https://github.com/hzyitc/armbian-onecloud 

Downloaded the latest release of this build for the onecloud device as it also runs on the s805 amlogic chipset (props to the developer for still updating)

Burn the image to your sd card.

Then after the image is burned, create a textfile on the root of the sd card and name it „uEnv.txt“

Paste the following and adjust the .dtb file to your corresponding device. My case is the mxq

LINUX=/uImage
INITRD=/uInitrd
#VMODE=1080P50HZ
VMODE=1080P
FDT=/dtb/meson8b-mxq.dtb
APPEND=root=LABEL=armbi_root rootfstype=ext4 rootflags=data=writeback rw console=ttyAML0,115200n8 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0

Save the file, insert the sd card in your device connect it to LAN and ssh in to the device (check the ip in your router)

So, ssh root@your.ip.adress.x

Password is 1234 by default.

And that is that. I currently have it running for 4hrs with no outage. PiHole and PiVPN both installed and running.

I hope this could help anyone out trying on a similar device. Credit goes to the devs and contributors. I just put the pieces together and made it work as my own builds wouldnt run so I resorted to this much better solution.

p.s: If anyone is interested for my reasoning of updating from a old build, it was because i was using 5.14 rc2 kernel that was bugging with wireguard.

And as mentioned no hdmi output and no wifi. Wifi should be fixable hdmi rather not to my understanding.

Take care and have fun

Armbian & Khadas are rewarding contributors

Does that image contain an s805_autoscript and/or aml_autoscript file at the root of the sdcard?

Here's a copy of mine for an MXQ model (note that in my uEnv.txt, it uses a custom m201 dtb)

If that doesnt work, then you'll need to get access to serial console to see what the stock uboot is doing, and what sdcard (mmc) files it's looking for on boot.

armbian_s805_boot_files.zip

Hello there! I want to ask a question about burning images into SD cards. I followed the steps of OP, I tried to burn the image via DD and via balenaEtcher, and both of them didn't created a boot partition (balenaEtcher did warn me that the image does not contain a partition table). As far as I recall, those files like uEnv.txt, .dtb, etc must be placed in the boot partition, am I right? Did I do something wrong, or did I should somehow create those parts by myself? Thanks!

Image used:

Armbian-unofficial_23.11.0-trunk_Onecloud_bullseye_edge_6.6.2.burn.img

@embedder_dev - there is no proper u-boot for s805 and the u-boot (plus other bootloader parts) are somewhere in the middle of the emmc (if it even is emmc and not nand) - so better do not touch the emmc if you are not very familiar with such topics and stay on the sd card to avoid accidently bricking the box

@Jens J. where did you get that custom DTB file? 

I booted my MXM tv box s805 amlogic, it works, but it doesn't detect any USB device, seems like a problem in the DTB file. 

But I can't find any other file on the internet that would work with my kernel:

Linux onecloud 6.7.9-edge-meson #1 SMP Wed Mar  6 14:54:01 UTC 2024 armv7l GNU/Linux

Other stuff seems to work, at least ethernet works fine.

Pls let me know how you created the custom DTB

Thanks in advance.