Orange Pi Zero 3

ag123

6 minutes ago, iun cuim said:

Here images: https://github.com/warpme/miniarch/releases

Quick start guide: https://github.com/warpme/miniarch#quick-start

There is no specific forum, since this project is led by one person. I only know about it from the #linux-sunxi developer channel.

Great information, thanks again @iun cuim!

I have had a quick look through the full patch set in the github repositories and it's not too dissimilar to the patches we've already got working (CPU Frequency appears to be an omission, but I may not have found it yet :) ). I will go through what else is there for comparisons sake, and now I have a link to the images I will take a look at those too, cheers! :D

Also, thanks for your kernel contributions to sunxi.

Edited by pixdrift

Armbian & Khadas are rewarding contributors

18 minutes ago, pixdrift said:

CPU Frequency appears to be an omission, but I may not have found it yet

Here: https://github.com/warpme/minimyth2/blob/master/script/kernel/linux-6.6/files/0630-arm64-dts-allwinner-h616.dtsi-add-ths-audio-hdmi.patch

I think, that warpme has the most comprehensive patches discussed on #linux-sunxi, including testing new things like a driver for LPDDR3 or LPDDR4 for h616/h618

Need testers for - https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/6106

HDMI support for H616/H618 and WIP support for Orange Pi Zero3

known issues

- cpufreq seems to be broken. Will be working to fix the same

- Plymouth and tty on HDMI works fine, though xfce on bookworm seems to be having some weird issues where its only rendering the top half of the display. Will check on sid to see how newer version of mesa behaves.

Hello everyone. I would like to thank you all for the time you are putting on this.

Need testers for - https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/6106

I would like to help a bit and test it, but I'm pretty noob to playing with WIP Linux distribution. I have a developper background so I might be able to understand the principles, but I'll need a quick 'How to' or any tutorial to start with.

Thanks again for what you are doing, can't wait to be able to play with this Opi zero 3 with Armbian.

Thank you very much.

It's good to have Armbian on this board.

I'm running 6.6.8 kernel and it has some bugs.

[    0.222950] sun50i-h616-r-pinctrl 7022000.pinctrl: initialized sunXi PIO driver
[    0.224409] sun50i-h616-pinctrl 300b000.pinctrl: request() failed for pin 224
[    0.224418] sun50i-h616-pinctrl 300b000.pinctrl: pin-224 (5000000.serial) status -517
[    0.224425] sun50i-h616-pinctrl 300b000.pinctrl: could not request pin 224 (PH0) from group PH0  on device 300b000.pinctrl
[    0.224434] dw-apb-uart 5000000.serial: Error applying setting, reverse things back
[    0.225938] sun50i-h616-pinctrl 300b000.pinctrl: request() failed for pin 64
[    0.225946] sun50i-h616-pinctrl 300b000.pinctrl: pin-64 (5010000.spi) status -517
[    0.225954] sun50i-h616-pinctrl 300b000.pinctrl: could not request pin 64 (PC0) from group PC0  on device 300b000.pinctr

I'm newbie and I'm learning how to fix it.

This thread is really helpful.

I have some testing results from the last few days. I am testing the build from @pixdrift.

@Gunjan GuptaI will try to build you image later today. I am not very experienced with git and would appreciate a detailed command list to clone your test repository so I can build it on my system.

1. Bluetooth

My original test worked but then I went back later and found a problem.  My setup boots from SPI Flash directly to a USB hard drive. On my original test I tested on the first boot after flashing the image to the hard drive. A few days later I looked at the bluetooth again and it did not work. The bluetooth entry in /sys/class was not there and so bluetoothctl complained and would not start.  I repeated the image flash procedure and bluetooth works on the initial boot (bluetooth in /sys/class) but not on subsequent powerdown or reboots.

I then flashed the Armbian image to an SD chip and retested bluetooth. From the SD card there were intermittent failures. On some boots bluetooth was created in /sys/class and other times it was not.

Attached are dmesg files from an hd drive reboot with bluetooth failure and from a Zunlong image were bluetooth works.

dmesg_from_hd_system.txt dmesg_from_Zunlong.txt

Edited by Stephen Graf
request to @Gunjan

31 minutes ago, johndo100 said:

Thank you very much.

It's good to have Armbian on this board.

I'm running 6.6.8 kernel and it has some bugs.

[    0.222950] sun50i-h616-r-pinctrl 7022000.pinctrl: initialized sunXi PIO driver
[    0.224409] sun50i-h616-pinctrl 300b000.pinctrl: request() failed for pin 224
[    0.224418] sun50i-h616-pinctrl 300b000.pinctrl: pin-224 (5000000.serial) status -517
[    0.224425] sun50i-h616-pinctrl 300b000.pinctrl: could not request pin 224 (PH0) from group PH0  on device 300b000.pinctrl
[    0.224434] dw-apb-uart 5000000.serial: Error applying setting, reverse things back
[    0.225938] sun50i-h616-pinctrl 300b000.pinctrl: request() failed for pin 64
[    0.225946] sun50i-h616-pinctrl 300b000.pinctrl: pin-64 (5010000.spi) status -517
[    0.225954] sun50i-h616-pinctrl 300b000.pinctrl: could not request pin 64 (PC0) from group PC0  on device 300b000.pinctr

I'm newbie and I'm learning how to fix it.

This thread is really helpful.

Yes, those messages appear on boot, but are not critical. -517 is just defered probing. Things settles down later. As those messages are harmless, I am not focusing on those right now. But will come back to them later after all major issues are resolved.

39 minutes ago, Mako said:

I would like to help a bit and test it, but I'm pretty noob to playing with WIP Linux distribution. I have a developper background so I might be able to understand the principles, but I'll need a quick 'How to' or any tutorial to start with.

You can follow this guide to build an image - https://docs.armbian.com/Developer-Guide_Build-Preparation/

3. GPIO testing on @pixdrift image on zero3.

I thought this would be trivial and it almost was.  I plugged in a cable on pins PC5 and PC6 on the 26 pin header, and connected them together.  Using gpioset and gpioget I was able to change the output on one pin and see it reflected on the other. Then I tried to reboot my system and nothing - no output on the console. I had to look at the schematic to discover that PC5 and 6 are used as a signal for SPI flash boot. See the first page on the upper left corner.  One pin is tied high and the other low. The fine print says these pins are used for SPI flash flags. The lesson is if you want to boot from SPI flash it is not advisable to use these two pins!

Hi everyone,

Apologies, have been away for Christmas.. and still not completely back on deck.

My Zero2W with expansion and expansion boards for Zero2 and Zero3 arrived during the break so I will also have those to test.

Welcome to the new people in the forum! @johndo100 and @Mako, can you let us know which boards and which variants you have (ie. memory configuration) and if you have IO boards? would be great to get some more testers with hardware contributing feedback here :)

Regarding testing for @Gunjan Gupta I am happy to create builds of his pull request efforts into mainline Armbian to make it easier for others to test, all I ask is that when people are posting feedback for different images they provide a link to the image they have downloaded/flashed so we can keep track of which feedback relates to which build. I will also include the PR (pull request) and commit ID in the builds I do.

I will try and get a build / image of the 6106 PR that @Gunjan Gupta is requesting testing for.. out today.

I am interested in what people prefer to test as there is a large number of combinations. I will build Bookworm and Bookworm + XFCE initially, and happy to take feedback if people have trouble with Debian.

4. i2c testing on @pixdrift image on zero3.

To make i2c work I had to set the i2c3 device to okay and add the pins to the device in the dtb. Normally I think enabling an i2c device could be done via armbian-config hardware toggle but this does not work as the config item does not show any devices.

The pins are defined in the dtb but there is no link to them in the i2c definition. See attached dtb excerpt.

There seem to be 2 internal i2c devices when looking at /dev. All the other ic2 devices in the dtb are disabled. When I enabled i2c3 in the dtb using the armbian-config edit dtb option, and after a reboot there were 3 i2c devices in /dev:

crw-rw----   1 root i2c      89,   0 Dec 29 10:16 i2c-0
crw-rw----   1 root i2c      89,   1 Dec 29 10:16 i2c-1
crw-rw----   1 root i2c      89,   2 Dec 29 10:16 i2c-2

So what is labelled in the drawings and dtb as i2c3 becomes i2c-2 in the system. I connected a temperature humidity sensor to this device and ran some rust code that I had written and it worked.

dtb_excerpt.txt

I have Orange Pi Zero 3 builds for @Gunjan Gupta's PR6106 built here for testing (prefixed with the PR number).

If you have a Zero3, please check that these images are working, specifically HDMI, as this is a big first step to getting the Orange Pi Zero 3 into Armbian.
https://armdev.pixeldrift.net/orangepi/zero3/pr_testing/

@Gunjan Gupta you're expecting Zero2 HDMI will also work with these changes? If so, I can build some zero2 images for testing also.

Edit:

I also just added a Zero 2 image here for testing if anyone has a Zero 2.
https://armdev.pixeldrift.net/orangepi/zero2/pr_testing/

Edited by pixdrift

Hi everyone!

As you can guess I'm looking to use my new OPi Z3 with Armbian. I'm currently looking to use it for two little Discord bots. But may eventually come up with other uses for it down the line.

Since @pixdrift asked others...I have the Orange Pi Zero 3 2gig version. No expansion boards ATM but I did get the MPI3508 3.5" LCD touch screen that uses the 26pins. Sadly because of the pin layout it kind of hangs off the side, it powers up though, but needs some tweaking/drivers to make it display anything. Aside from the official Orange Pi OS, I haven't gotten any GUI up and running yet. I am playing around with the MiniArch image @iun cuim posted a little further back. I went through the steps, in order, got it updated, and installed Endeavouros/GUI, but when I reboot it just goes back into the terminal login. I'm sure it's something simple I'm missing. (I'm using the onboard HDMI at the moment). 

It's further than I've gotten so far, aside from using the Official OrangePi image. All the other images I've tried the OPiZ3 wouldn't boot at all, the red light wouldn't come on (as I'm sure you're aware). I even tried the new builds of Noble and Trixie (for OPiZ2) which some said they were using on the PiZ3 I thought, unless I misread. 

Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying out the other images that any of you are kind to get set up for us. I'm willing to help as much as I can with testing and hope I'm not too much of a burden/slow down since I'm new to this. I am, however, somewhat familiar with Linux, but it's been some years so I may be a bit rusty with some things lol

On another note, I looked at the pinout for the LCD screen I got, it appears there are several pins it doesn't use, but of course, it blocks them. Later on I may look into somehow tapping into those pins to do, something, maybe control LED light strips, temp sensor connections, etc. Two other projects that I'm close to finishing are with an Arduino UNO (well, Elegoo Uno) and an ESP32 Cam. The Uno I'm using on my telescope to remotely control its focus, mainly when I live stream from the telescope. The ESP32 Cam I'm going to use to smarten up our garage opener. Since the ESP32 has a cam onboard, I can log in, see if the door is opened or closed, and close it if need be. I'll have to tap off of some of its pins to get an output to activate a relay, a similar process to what I'd need to do on the OPiZ3 with its 26 pins with the LCD attached. 

19 minutes ago, Stephen Graf said:

@pixdrift, @Gunjan Gupta I built an image by getting  a repository:

git clone https://github.com/viraniac/armbian_build.git.

The image works with HDMI using my brand new cable that arrived less than an hour ago.

I will test more later.  Is this a good way to produce an image? I'm not quite sure.

Hi @Stephen Graf,

This is the best method but take note that the branch in the repository that is being merged may change depending on the PR, which would require changing the branch in your locally cloned copy before running ./compile to test it. It appears @Gunjan Gupta has closed the 6106 PR because of issues, but when the repo is updated, you can pull again from it to get the updates and then rebuild. Depending on your hardware setup and build caches, it's a pretty quick process.

Please note: That Orange Pi Zero 3 has been added as 'WIP' so it won't be available in the default device menu in compile.sh, you need to select 'Show CSC/WIP/EOS/TVB' from the device menu (after choosing kernel options). The menu will turn red and you need to select 'I understand and agree' and then orangepizero3 will be available in the menu to build.

Edited by pixdrift

Welcome to the new people in the forum! @johndo100 and @Mako, can you let us know which boards and which variants you have (ie. memory configuration) and if you have IO boards? would be great to get some more testers with hardware contributing feedback here

Hi @pixdrift

I have Orange Pi Zero 3 1GB now.

I'm new to Armbian so I'll need to learn something first- to build the Armbian image 😅

I am still experiencing problems with getting bluetooth to start with the new image from @Gunjan Gupta. On the initial boot after flash to SD it worked. I then used armbian-config to move the system to a USB drive and bluetooth did not start on the first boot of the USB drive. Then I went back to the SD and bluetooth started on the first boot. After a reboot it did not start. The symptom of the failure is the lack of bluetooth in /sys/class.

Attached are dmesg files from 3 startups, initial after SD card flash, first boot on USB drive and a subsequent failure and working on the SD card.

Why do the dmesg outputs not start at time 0?

dmesg_SD_working.txt dmesg_hd.txt dmesg_SD_reboot.txt dmesg_initial_boot.txt

This is testing I have done on PR6106 builds @Gunjan Gupta, it's great to see Zero2 HDMI working, well done.. I was optimistic with CPU Frequency on Zero 3 but it's still not working for some reason, will take a closer look when you post an updated PR.

Board / Variant

HDMI Console WiFi CPU Frequency
Orange Pi Zero 2 / 1GB Yes Yes Yes
Orange Pi Zero 3 / 4GB Yes Yes No

Edited by pixdrift

2 hours ago, Gunjan Gupta said:

I do expect that you will get the same half screen issue, but still can you once check it on zero2?

@Gunjan Gupta

Checked this on zero2 and Plymouth looks great (perfect), but XFCE is unfortunately all over the place. As you mention, I get the top menu in XFCE, and I appear to have mouse input because parts of the display flicker and menus open, but I can't see the cursor. Regularly the screen fills with a single block colour eg. red/grey (full screen).

Edited by pixdrift

Hi,

first of all thanks for all the effort to get armbian running on the orange pi zero3 👍

I just received my 4gig version today and tried to build an image to play around and give some feedback.

Hope I don't clutter the thread with my noob questions.  I tried following on Linux Mint 21 Vanessa (based on Ubuntu Jammy)

git clone --depth=1 -b zero3 https://github.com/pixdrift/armbian_build.git
cd armbian_build
./compile.sh

Zitat

[🌱] -----------------Relaunching in Docker after 2s------------------ [ here comes the 🐳 ]
/home/joka/armbian_build/lib/functions/host/docker.sh: Zeile 585: /usr/bin/docker: Die Argumentliste ist zu lang
[💥] -------------Docker run failed after 2s-------------------------- [ 🐳 failed ]
[💥] Docker Log file for this run [ not found ]

The message is that the argument list is too long. Any ideas? Is the approach correct at all?

14 hours ago, pixdrift said:

I have Orange Pi Zero 3 builds for @Gunjan Gupta's PR6106 built here for testing (prefixed with the PR number).

If you have a Zero3, please check that these images are working, specifically HDMI, as this is a big first step to getting the Orange Pi Zero 3 into Armbian.
https://rpmbuild.pixeldrift.net/armbian/orangepi/zero3/pr_testing/

Hi @pixdrift, last night I tested your image of @Gunjan Gupta 's PR6106. Not surprisingly I got the same half-screen thing, you mentioned in your above reply. I was however able to fix it by guessing where the mouse cursor was and getting into the display settings. 

These are my notes from testing last night, on the Orange Pi Zero 3 2gb, using a 128GB SanDisk Ultra MicroSDXC  UHS-1 (A1) to run the image (PR6106_20231229_b1fb0d159_Armbian-unofficial_24.2.0-trunk_Orangepizero3_bookworm_edge_6.7.0-rc7_xfce_desktop.tar.xz):

• GUI Glitch: Using the HDMI port on the OPiZ3 - Asus 23" monitor at 1920x1080 (xfce desktop)
    • Couldn't see the cursor and moving the mouse up would cause the display below where the mouse should be to change to solid colors (almost as if the pixel under the mouse cursor was being displayed across the entire screen below where the cursor would be)
    • Managed to fix the glitch by guessing where the mouse was to bring up menus, and using arrow keys to navigate menus to change graphics settings
      • Setting the scale to anything above 1.0 the glitch went away and the GUI was fine
      • The fix seemed to work for different resolutions
    • After a reboot, the glitch appeared on the login screen, but after logging in (not as root, I should try that but I suspect the glitch will remain as the fix was under my username), display settings made previously loaded and the glitch went away.
  • Wifi glitch? (possibly related to the Bluetooth issue? I didn't test connecting to any Bluetooth devices, but mine did say it was on. I'll try pairing to something next time)
    • It worked on the initial boot/setup/updates, but after getting into the xfce desktop the wifi seemed to disconnect.
    • It would attempt to reconnect but kept saying it disconnected.
    • After another reboot, it seemed to work fine and I was able to run apt-get update from a terminal, as well as install other apps, and visit sites using Chromium
  • Some things seemed a little sluggish, especially the browser. I didn't think to take note of the CPU usage at idle, or what the clocks were running at. It did seem that some of the cores were under 10% usage and then one of them (core 4 i think) would seem to spike to 100% at idle, but I'll try to track that a little better next time I boot it up.

Hopefully, that helps somewhat. I suspect the GUI glitch be fixed by setting the scale in a config file somewhere so that it doesn't happen on the login screen, but I don't know enough, without some googling, to try it.

4 minutes ago, Sma said:

Couldn't see the cursor and moving the mouse up would cause the display below where the mouse should be to change to solid colors (almost as if the pixel under the mouse cursor was being displayed across the entire screen below where the cursor would be)

Thanks, that does theoretically tells me that the issue is being caused by some changes I missed when integrating drm-sun4i-Mark-one-of-the-UI-planes-as-a-cursor-one.patch. I will revisit the hdmi code again while keeping that patch in mind. But we should be close to getting a working hdmi now.