Shocked by lack of video performance on the Rock 4c plus

Adambian

I've installed Armbian_v22.05.2_Rockpi-4cplus_jammy_current_6.1.33_minimal and whatever I try to play a 1080p video via the performance is horrible with very slow refresh, totally unusable.

Normally loki gives me acceptable performance on SBCs of similar performance but not in this case.    The Rock 4c plus is quite powerful so I'm really shocked at how badly it's performing.

Let me be clear, I understand that the issue I see is not that the Rock 4c plus isn't cable of playing video, clearly it is and I'm not complaining about the hardware of the device.     It's just that the software being used clearly needs to be optimised for it and most things out there don't seem to be.

So is there an optimised video player or a way of improving performance with configuration or patched software ?

Edited by Adambian

Does the radxa distro have the same performance issue or does it work as expected there?

You can download a image here https://github.com/radxa/debos-radxa/releases/tag/20230201-0944

My guess is that armbian is not using the correct GPU driver, and that results in CPU decoding.

The device tree in the radxa is different than the one in the armbian distro but I have no idea how to fix it.