how could I setup wifi headlessly for orange pi 5B?

Carl Hung

Does armbian for orange pi 5b provide headless wifi setup like raspberry pi?
on raspberry pi, I can modify the sd card. like `touch ssh` and assign wifi login and password in the .conf to achieve headless wifi setup.

I don't have a lan cable, monitor and keyborad to set up.

Getting a ethernet cable is the easiest thing for the initial setup. Otherwise you can use a serial connection and do the first boot setup via serial.

Armbian images are not like the Raspian images, where you have a fat partition, that you can easily mount and store some files on it.

You could of course do some hacky stuff like mounting the boot or root partition from the img file and pre-configure some stuff, if you know what to do. It will definitely not as easy as just creating an empty file.

Posted (edited)

On 7/28/2023 at 10:31 PM, Marco Schirrmeister said:

Getting a ethernet cable is the easiest thing for the initial setup

I can't see my rpi5  installed with armbian cli on nmap / angry ip scanner, when I connect it via ethernet to my laptop.

The getting started guide mentions it via serial or hdmi, do I need to enable ethernet somewhere??

Edited by ledivar777

1 hour ago, ledivar777 said:

when I connect it via ethernet to my laptop.

You normally connect ethernet to a switch or router not directly to a laptop.  You need something providing dhcp addresses and routing traffic between connected devices.  While is is possible to setup a laptop to at as a dhcp server and to route traffic that isn't normal and isn't easy to setup correctly.  You just need to plug the board into your 'network' and plug you laptop into the same network.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SteeMan said:

You normally connect ethernet to a switch or router not directly to a laptop.

I realized that, and connected the pi5 to the lan port on my wifi router but wasn't able to see it in the clients list on my router dashboard (192.168.1.1). Waited for 10-15 mins.

Edited by ledivar777