How to install armbian in h618?

alienxz77b

Hi Dave,

I don't see any difference between our dts (That deal with hdmi/audio). Maybe the overlay dtbo_a changed something.? If you can extract that.

Have you tried your box with different TV/monitors and hdmi cables?

Here's my dts.

devicetree.dts

Edited by Nick A

Hi Nick. I'm on a business trip now, I'll be able to check on Monday. Maybe I'm just not assembling the firmware correctly? I’ll try to compile it again and publish the output of dmesg or whatever you suggest to understand the problem. Thank you very much for your time and help.

On 4/18/2024 at 1:49 PM, Nick A said:

Here's the latest build

Thanks!, saved me significant messing around. Generic-ish "T95MAX"(lol) here, 4GB... bridged UART rx FET Source Drain but no luck with that... mounted SD to setup some credentials.

Don't really use HDMI, BTOOTH, WIFI(rarely) but I owe you(s) one so if you need something let me know...

edit: board is one where BTOOTH seems like it works and WIFI does not due to new brcm chipset etc. etc.

Edited by wulfy23
board specifics

Can I ask if there is a build for 2gb ram? I'm using Vontar 618 with board vs Transpeed 8k 2gb version so it almost just hangs on the armbian logo. I have tried all versions of armdev build but they don't work

Manged to boot latest armbian on Transpeed T98 6K clone.

Don't quite understand actions needed to boot from SD card, but investigating uBoot setup I noticed, that it can also boot from USB stick.

I'd like to join the development. Device looks promising.

I have a patch for emmc internal memory but I haven't tested it yet. I got it from warpme's miniarch distro. If you go back a few pages you'll see how heiko910 installed to emmc

Цитата

Nick A Опубликовано: 18 апреля

Here's the latest build if anyone wants to test it out.

https://armdev.pixeldrift.net/transpeed/8k618-t/

I downloaded PRxxxx_20240415_db21e5f7d_Arabian-unofficial_24.5.0-trunk_Transpeed-8k618-t_bookworm_edge_6.7.12_xfce_desktop.tar. xz 2024-04-17 14:51 964M. I used Rufus to write to SD.When turned on, the Arabian download started. When the desktop appeared, I ran arm bin-config and installed arabian in the internal memory. I deleted the SD card on reboot. The system booted from the internal memory. WI-FI and BT are not working. Everything else works very fast.

Hi all. I have transpeed m98-8k plus allwinner h618. Its stop working. When i plug to power its only red light. Trying to flash stock firmware with phoenix suit, phoenix usb pro but stops when reach 45%. When i plug usb to USB1 port automatically start flashing. In livesuit says invalid image file.

Posted (edited)

My set-top box has an FX-618-D4_V10 board. The WI-FI chip is HK6334Q. WIFI started working when using the brcmfmac4334-sdio.bin driver and file brcmfmac4334-sdio.txt from the website https://github.com/LibreELEC/brcmfmac_sdio-firmware/blob/master/brcmfmac4334-sdio.bin .

Edited by Владимир Владимиров

Posted (edited)

So I been doing some testing and audio through headphone jack "Line Out" works. I added a patch to enable line out in my dts.

+&codec {
+	allwinner,audio-routing =
+	        "Line Out", "LINEOUT";
+	status = "okay";
+};
+

You need to to enable it using the mixer. (thanks to sasa in the orange pie thread)

/usr/bin/amixer -c 0 set 'Left Output Mixer DACL' 100% unmute
    /usr/bin/amixer -c 0 set 'Left Output Mixer DACR' 100% unmute
    /usr/bin/amixer -c 0 set 'Right Output Mixer DACL' 100% unmute
    /usr/bin/amixer -c 0 set 'Right Output Mixer DACR' 100% unmute

Bluetooth has a bug where you need to enable bluetooth in android first before it can work with armbian. 

Edited by Nick A

Thank you guys for putting the effort to port Armbian to H616/H618 android boxes.

I have a 4GB/64GB T95H (exactly the same PCB: https://linux-sunxi.org/File:T95H_PCB_Top.jpg, https://linux-sunxi.org/File:T95H_PCB_Bottom.jpg, just with stock firmware T95H-H616-X24).

By default the serial console did not work. After adding a shortcut to tx-path, and 1K resistor to the rx-path (between two pads of SOT-23), the boot process of stock fw became available, and communication with the FW became possible at 115200 baud rate.

Downloading the latest available PRxxxx_20240415_db21e5f7d_Armbian-unofficial_24.5.0-trunk_Transpeed-8k618-t_bookworm_edge_6.7.12.tar.xz and putting the extracted img to SD card, powering up the box with pressed uboot button does not give any console output (neither on 115200 nor on 1500000 baud rate).

Did I make something wrong? Or is this box is not supported by the tested firmware at any level?

@Nick A I'm using you latest build from pixeldrift on a Transpeed M98-8K TV box with a H618 and it works like a charm without any modifications! 👏🥳

Now I'm curious how these builds will go on, as the directory description talks about "experimental", "testing only", "are not intended for end users".... ?

I will use the TV box as a small home server and do you know if this device (or the Transpeed 8k618-T) will become some more or less "official" cummunity build?

Many thanks in advance!

pstumbler most of my patches have come from warpme. To apply warpme's audio/video patches to Armbian I had to disable several patches from other boxes. If someone wants to modify warpme's patches to work with armbian then it shouldn't be hard to get an official build.   

Kil did you do the toothpick tick correctly? 

there’s a button in the headphone jack.., use a wooden toothpick.

what I do is remove the power cable. 

With the sdcard inserted.
push the button inside the headphone jack with a toothpick. 
plug-in the power cable holding the button for a few seconds. 
remove the toothpick. 
You’ll notice the box won’t boot.

remove power cable.

The next time you insert the power cable it will boot to armbian.

Posted (edited)

@Nick A: Yes, I found a suitable plastic tool to press the uboot button through the audio jack during powering up. The symptom is, when the button is pressed (and released after power up), serial output remains absolutely silent (so the uboot button pressing is sensed!), when uboot button is not pressed, the standard boot process is visible... I enclose an earlier saved stock firmware boot log, if you can get any hints out of that...

I also checked on the linux machine, that the SD card contains the Armbian image, which can be mounted, files are browsable...

t95h_x24_stock_firmware_boot.txt

Edited by kil

2 hours ago, Nick A said:

Kil did you do the toothpick tick correctly? 

there’s a button in the headphone jack.., use a wooden toothpick.

what I do is remove the power cable. 

With the sdcard inserted.
push the button inside the headphone jack with a toothpick. 
plug-in the power cable holding the button for a few seconds. 
remove the toothpick. 

remove power cable.

I'd be interested in understanding better what is going on to enable the toothpick to switch boot order.  So by default it seems that the boot order looks for u-boot on emmc first (as it doesn't boot from an SD card with a valid u-boot when inserted).  But something happens with the pressing of the button that causes the boot order to change from emmc first to SD first.  And that change seems to be persistent from your description.  That would imply that some state information (boot order) is being stored somewhere as sometimes it boots emmc first and other times it boots SD card first.  Where and how does this process work?

Posted (edited)

Your box has a H616.. The problem is due to your box having a different PMIC (Power Management IC). 

[01.215]PMU: AXP806

Which is the same as axp305.

My box uses AXP313a. 

https://linux-sunxi.org/AXP_PMICs

I think you would have better luck booting an OrangePi Zero2 image.

I would extract your boxes dts file and compare it with OrangePi Zero2. Make sure the voltages are correct.

axp305: pmic@745 {
		compatible = "x-powers,axp305", "x-powers,axp805",
			     "x-powers,axp806";
		interrupt-controller;
		#interrupt-cells = <1>;
		reg = <0x745>;

x-powers,self-working-mode;
		vina-supply = <&reg_vcc5v>;
		vinb-supply = <&reg_vcc5v>;
		vinc-supply = <&reg_vcc5v>;
		vind-supply = <&reg_vcc5v>;
		vine-supply = <&reg_vcc5v>;
		aldoin-supply = <&reg_vcc5v>;
		bldoin-supply = <&reg_vcc5v>;
		cldoin-supply = <&reg_vcc5v>;

regulators {
			reg_aldo1: aldo1 {
				regulator-always-on;
				regulator-min-microvolt = <3300000>;
				regulator-max-microvolt = <3300000>;
				regulator-name = "vcc-sys";
			};

reg_aldo2: aldo2 {	/* 3.3V on headers */
				regulator-always-on;
				regulator-name = "vcc3v3-ext";
			};

reg_aldo3: aldo3 {	/* 3.3V on headers */
				regulator-always-on;
				regulator-name = "vcc3v3-ext2";
			};

reg_bldo1: bldo1 {
				regulator-always-on;
				regulator-min-microvolt = <1800000>;
				regulator-max-microvolt = <1800000>;
				regulator-name = "vcc1v8";
			};

bldo2 {
				/* unused */
			};

bldo3 {
				/* unused */
			};

bldo4 {
				/* unused */
			};

cldo1 {
				/* reserved */
			};

cldo2 {
				/* unused */
			};

cldo3 {
				/* unused */
			};

reg_dcdca: dcdca {
				regulator-always-on;
				regulator-min-microvolt = <810000>;
				regulator-max-microvolt = <1100000>;
				regulator-name = "vdd-cpu";
			};

reg_dcdcc: dcdcc {
				regulator-always-on;
				regulator-min-microvolt = <810000>;
				regulator-max-microvolt = <990000>;
				regulator-name = "vdd-gpu-sys";
			};

reg_dcdcd: dcdcd {
				regulator-always-on;
				regulator-min-microvolt = <1500000>;
				regulator-max-microvolt = <1500000>;
				regulator-name = "vdd-dram";
			};

reg_dcdce: dcdce {
				regulator-always-on;
				regulator-name = "vcc-eth-mmc";
			};

sw {
				/* unused */
			};
		};
	};
};

Edited by Nick A

@Nick A thank you for your information 😀
Would it be possible to get your already patched sources for building the images you posted on pixeldrift?

Can I download them on your github page?

Any other way that I don't have to invent the wheel anew to create the same image myself?
Thanks!!!

On 5/13/2024 at 8:52 PM, Nick A said:

remove power cable.

Thanks Nick A, that was an unclear part of reboot magic.

After playing with installation, I noticed that: bluetooth doesn't work (looks like a bug you mentioned), HDMI doesn't detect the tv, hdmi sound also doesn't work, wifi doesn't even appear in kernel log.
I boot minimal image, without xfce. Is there any difference?

Posted (edited)

Dmitriy Geels I think your box is a H616.. again it's probably due to different PMIC (Power Management IC). Need more information. Do you have a serial log? can you post your kernel log?

Edited by Nick A

It identifies itself as H618. And I remember seeing 'AXP806' in the dtbo_a partition...
I'll get logs and take chip pictures a bit later.

BTW Nick, do you plan to update your repo? I tried to rebase -- hundreds of conflicts. 

@Nick A Thank you for your hints how to continue.

On 5/14/2024 at 12:19 AM, Nick A said:

Your box has a H616.. The problem is due to your box having a different PMIC (Power Management IC). 

Yes, T95H has AXP305, however I was hoping it can be compatible with the one used in Transpeed image. Stock FW handles it as axp20x driver. 

[    0.553424] axp20x-i2c 5-0036: AXP20x variant AXP806 found
[    0.572031] axp806-aldo2: Bringing 700000uV into 3300000-3300000uV
[    0.575807] axp806-aldo3: Bringing 700000uV into 3300000-3300000uV
[    0.576720] random: fast init done
[    0.593025] axp20x-i2c 5-0036: AXP20X driver loaded

On 5/14/2024 at 12:19 AM, Nick A said:

I would extract your boxes dts file and compare it with OrangePi Zero2. Make sure the voltages are correct.

DTS is new area for me, I tried to check it, but up to now I was unsuccessful the one, used in the stock firmware. At the same time I have also doubts, if that were fully correct, as e.g. DRAMs get 1.5V (based on the boot log), while in my case the ram IC-s are "Micron D9PQL", which seems to be DDR3L, rather than DDR3...

Posted (edited)

Kil if you go one page back you'll see how I used adb command to extract the .dts file from the stock android. 

for an H616 board you need the correct DRAM parameters, you can read them from a vendor image using https://github.com/apritzel/sunxi-fw. Maybe you can use the boot_a partition from adb to get your Dram parameters.

It's important to know the model of the PMIC and its configuration, to get a board running. You don't want to burn out one of your components.

Edited by Nick A

Posted (edited)

Dmitriy Geels any chance you can install a serial connection on the boards uart? Have you tried the desktop image yet? I see your board loaded axp313a. Also enable bluetooth in android before booting the sdcard.

Your dts is not your full dts. It looks like dtbo_a an overlay file. You need to extract from boot_a and vendor_boot_a partition. Which is why I used Android_boot_image_editor. It extracted all my partitions with dts files in it without any problems.

You only need to do the toothpick trick once. You might need to do the toothpick trick again when you change your sdcard image. Not sure. 

I'm thinking of updating Armbian again.. Too busy with work right now. If I encounter a failed build due to changes in Armbian I usually update A.S.A.P. Normally, I would fork the Armbian build and add all my changes again. If there's an easier way to do this let me know. Still new to github. 

Edited by Nick A