Apt package for the Nanopi R6S u-boot

wilmardo

Hi all,

For most Nanopi devices there are packages in the registry which contain the u-boot files, for example:
https://mirrors.dotsrc.org/armbian-apt/pool/main/l/linux-u-boot-nanopi-r4s-current/

Is there a reason these packages aren't present for the Nanopi R6S?

The reason behind this question is that I used to extract the u-boot from these packages to experiment with other OS'es which have no official release for a certain device. Of course I can get the u-boot from the downloadable images its first couple bytes, but downloading just the package is way smaller. If there is another source to obtain the u-boot blobs I am all ears.

I found that I can build them myself from the armbian/build repository with something like this but this isn't as lean as just downloading a package:

./compile.sh \
BUILD_ONLY=u-boot \
BOARD=nanopi-r6s \
BRANCH=legacy \
RELEASE=focal \
BUILD_MINIMAL=yes \
BUILD_DESKTOP=no \
KERNEL_CONFIGURE=no

Hopefully someone could point me in the right direction, thanks for all the time in getting support to these ARM devices ♥️

There are no packages for 23.05 release at all due to major stability issues.

I think there aren't older ones either because R6S has been added after 23.02 release.

Anyway as you already guessed you can use the build framework to create a package bundle for your board and do whatever you want with them.

Or simply wait a few days until 23.08 release which will have both images and apt repo up to date :)