Boot stuck on "random : crng init done"

adrian0541

After trying the 6.1.11 version of the system (XFCE Edition), I could get the system to start, but the loading proccess get stuck on "random : crng init done". I've been waiting for about 20 minutes now and the proccess stay on like the attached image.

Downloaded file:

Armbian_23.02.2_Aml-s9xx-box_bullseye_current_6.1.11_xfce_desktop.img.xz

Picsart_23-09-10_22-59-21-173.jpg

Edited by adrian0541

Hello, guys.

I've tried to edit the extlinux.conf file as showed on the attached file.

Is that the correct way to set file path? With this path file, the proccess stucks in the exact same step showed in the attached image showed before.

Do I need to repeat the proccess of creating a bootable USB Drive with Balena Etcher before trying a new dtb file? Am I creating the u-boot.ext file in the correct way?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm pretty much new on this.

Armbian-03.png

Armbian-04.png

Edited by adrian0541

@adrian0541  It would be helpful if you mentioned in this thread which box you have?  (I realize that you may have originally posted that information but after moving things around it isn't in this thread).

Also to your original question, in the extlinux file you should just reference the /dtb/  directory (not the kernel specific one).  The install/upgrade to new kernels will potentially remove that kernel and replace it with a new one and then your box won't boot as that specific file will no longer exist.  The files in the /dtb/ directory are a copy of those for the latest installed kernel, so by using that directory you are isolated from upgrades.

@adrian0541 It would be helpful if you mentioned in this thread which box you have?  (I realize that you may have originally posted that information but after moving things around it isn't in this thread).

Also to your original question, in the extlinux file you should just reference the /dtb/  directory (not the kernel specific one).  The install/upgrade to new kernels will potentially remove that kernel and replace it with a new one and then your box won't boot as that specific file will no longer exist.  The files in the /dtb/ directory are a copy of those for the latest installed kernel, so by using that directory you are isolated from upgrades.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

This post was constructed from the

answers of another one, so I will try

to clarify what's going on.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm trying to install ARMBIAN 23.02.2 on a T95 MAX+ TV Box, with an AMLOGIC S905X3 proccessor (4 GB of RAM; 100 mbit/s ethernet; 32 Gb of internal memory).

The 23.8.1 ARMBIAN version for AMLOGIC (link) proccessors, does not work well. It was suggested to me (Thanks to @well83) to use the 23.02.2 version (link). In this post I will be trying the Armbian_23.02.2_Aml-s9xx-box_bullseye_current_6.1.11_xfce_desktop.img.xz file.

After trying some differents DTB files I was able to boot to a graphical user interface (see the subsequent answers below for more details). Now I'm trying to determine how to install and/or congifure the propper wifi and sound drivers.

Edited by adrian0541

@adrian0541  In answer to your question on what uboots map to which cpus and dtbs, I just updated the FAQ instructions with such a mapping (based on your question and other posts in that thread).

@SteeMan  Where do I find the FAQ Section? Could you, please, post a link for me and future users?

----------------------------------------

Update:

I found the DTB and U-BOOT files instructions on the original post:

Edited by adrian0541

After adding the meson-sm1-a95xf3-air.dtb file on extlinux.config I was able to start on a graphical user interface.

Then I used these credentials:

User:

root

Password:

By the way, for this test I'm using a Rii X8+ USB Mini Keyboard, which works as a keyboard and a touchpad

-------------------------------------

After this achievement, I have some questions:

1. How do I Active the wifi connection? Could I try another DTB file? Or Should I try using a USB Wifi Stick and then try to update the drivers from the terminal using some commands?
  2. The same question goes for sound driver.

-------------------------------------

Picsart_23-09-16_17-12-03-410.jpg

Picsart_23-09-16_17-11-05-988.jpg

Edited by adrian0541

Well, after trying all the DTB files, these are the results:

meson-sm1-a95xf3-air.dtb

• Boots with a graphical user interface.
  • Max Res 4K
  • There is no WIFI connection
  • There is no Ethernet connection
  • There is no sound

meson-sm1-a95xf3-air-gbit.dtb

• Max Res 1080p
  • It appears there is Ethernet connection
  • There is no sound

meson-sm1-bananapi-m2-pro.dtb

• Max Res 1080p
  • There is no sound

meson-sm1-bananapi-m5.dtb

• Max Res 1080p
  • There is no sound

meson-sm1-h96-max.dtb

• Max Res 1080p
  • It appears there is Bluetooth (at least an item is showed)
  • There is no sound

meson-sm1-khadas-vim3l.dtb

• The system does not start

meson-sm1-odroid-c4.dtb

meson-sm1-odroid-hc4.dtb

meson-sm1-sei610.dtb

meson-sm1-x96-air.dtb

• Max Res 1080p
  • There is no Bluetooth
  • There is no Ethernet connection
  • There is no sound

meson-sm1-x96-air-gbit.dtb

• Max Res 1080p
  • There is no Bluetooth
  • There is no sound

I think I will try to continue with meson-sm1-h96-max.dtb file.

Using a USB Wifi Stick I'm perfectly capable to connect to a Wifi Network.

---------------------------------------------

I updated the system using (on terminal):

sudo apt update

Then

sudo apt upgrade

Now I will try to install the TV Box Wifi and Sound Drivers

Armbian-03.jpg

Edited by adrian0541

On the other hand I started this project as a hobby, trying to build an affordable mini console for my nephews (I already have one for my own, made from a HP Elidesk Mini). After succesfully achieving that (using Emuelec) on this TV Box (T95 Max+) I asked myself if it was possible to also install a fully functional version of Linux, so they could use this TV Box as a mini PC (you know, for navigation and school homework).

For the price of the TV Box, (around 30 USD on Aliexpress) I have no problems to start over again with another model. So, I would like to ask a little more questions:

1. Is there a TV Box with similar specs (AMLOGIC S905X3, 4 Gb of RAM, 32/64 Gb of internal memory, 100/1000 gbit/s ethernet, etc.) that has a fully functional version o ARMBIAN?
  2. If there is, Which model is it? What is the exact version or ARMBIAN that proved to work?
  3. If there is not, could you recommend to me another TV Box with simmilar or better specs which I could use for similar purposes.
  4. Maybe, should I try with rockchip TV Boxes?

Edited by adrian0541

On 9/16/2023 at 8:34 PM, adrian0541 said:

How can I determine the type of hardware I need to search the drivers for? How do I know my Wifi, Ehernet and sound hardware?

I've installed Hardinfo from the APT repository and made a scan of the hardware if it helps. I Also Installed AIDA64 on Android.

Generally the best way to determine your hardware is to open the box and look at what chips are installed (but that sometimes in tv boxes isn't helpful as the manufacturers are known to use chips with fake markings).  The other thing to do is to hook up to the serial console and review the uboot output and early kernel output.

With arm based tv boxes and boards the hardware is made available to the kernel via the dtb file.  So it is the dtb that maps the kernel to the on board hardware.  So if you aren't using a dtb explicitly designed for your board/box you won't get working features as the linux kernel won't know what the correct hardware is.  That is why with these tv boxes where there are only dtbs for a small handful of them that you are unlikely to get all features working on a box.  This is why the suggestion is to try all the dtbs and find the one that is closest to your hardware (i.e. has the most things working).

Generally the best way to determine your hardware is to open the box and look at what chips are installed (but that sometimes in tv boxes isn't helpful as the manufacturers are known to use chips with fake markings).  The other thing to do is to hook up to the serial console and review the uboot output and early kernel output.

With arm based tv boxes and boards the hardware is made available to the kernel via the dtb file.  So it is the dtb that maps the kernel to the on board hardware.  So if you aren't using a dtb explicitly designed for your board/box you won't get working features as the linux kernel won't know what the correct hardware is.  That is why with these tv boxes where there are only dtbs for a small handful of them that you are unlikely to get all features working on a box.  This is why the suggestion is to try all the dtbs and find the one that is closest to your hardware (i.e. has the most things working).

@SteeMan

Is there way to obtain or to construct the correct DTB file from the original files on Android? (The files that came on the internal TV Box Memory)

2 hours ago, adrian0541 said:

Is there way to obtain or to construct the correct DTB file from the original files on Android? (The files that came on the internal TV Box Memory)

You can find clues in the android dtb, but the kernel implementations between the vendor custom kernel used for android and mainline kernel are significant different, so they in general are not compatible.

2023-10-18

Today I will start with the second attemp to use ARMBIAN on a TV Box for a fully Linux desktop experience.

I gaved the old TV Box (T95 Max+) to one of my nephews as a retro game console with Emuelec (he was very pleased). I could make ARMBIAN work with the Ubuntu version from this link. I used the 6.1.11 jammy version. The user interface and the ethernet port worked well with the meson-sm1-a95xf3-air-gbit.dtb file. Sadly I could not make the sound or the wifi to work, but I could easily reach wifi connection through a USB Wifi Device.

I also changed the original device firmware for Aidan's ROM, which let me install a pure Android TV system on the TV Box, instead of the uglier original one.

Today I will start trying a new TV Box: the A95X F3 AIR, with 4 GB of RAM, 32 Gb of internal memory and 100 Mbits ethernet. I will let you know how the ARMBIAN experiment went.

Armbian-08.png